Thread: Autumn Soup: Beetroot, Pumpkin & Carrot (fyi it's effing delicious!!) page

mmsantos is offline Senior Member

Autumn Soup: Beetroot, Pumpkin & Carrot (fyi it's effing delicious!!)

I got some beetroot and pumpkin in my weekly veg box this week, so decided to make a soup with it.

After looking online at a couple of recipes, I decided to just add carrots to make one. There were lots of options; roasting or boiling the veg, which spices to add in etc. For simplicity's sake, I decided to just boil everything until they were soft, add salt and pepper, then blend with a touch of heavy cream (had to add water because it was more like a paste than a soup when I finished blending).

It was one of the best dishes I've eaten in the last few days (I've been cooking new stuff every day) and so simple. The pumpkin and beets complimented each other perfectly, each giving their own slight sweetness, and the carrots deepening the texture. No doubt the fact that they were local, organic and in-season vegetables helped a lot. So I thought I'd share my experience for anyone interested in doing the same! I highly recommend it!!!

Oh how I love eating the seasons let me know if you try it and/or have any improvement suggestions!

Grok on!

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Soup! Oh yes. Beetroot soup and pumpkin soup are firm autumn/winter favourites for me. Have never tried them together though. Let's see what the veg box yields tomorrow! Today I had pumpkin and chestnut soup for lunch.

My only suggestion for improvement is using chicken or beef bone stock as your cooking liquid instead of water. Really ups the flavour and nutrition. I've started making my own stock in a slow cooker overnight, either from leftover roast chicken bones or from beef bones I get from the butcher.

My basic recipe is onions/leeks + carrots + celery + whatever veg is plentiful sauteed in butter/dripping, and then cooking in stock for about 20mins until everything is soft enough to blend. I tend to roast pumpkin or butternut squash first (for ease of peeling as much as anything else). I vary the spices depending on the veg and my mood.

Oh and IMHO the best spice to go with pumpkin or butternut squash soup ... spanish smoked paprika.

Tracy210TT is offline Junior Member
    THIS sounds fabulous. And I laughed out loud reading it effin' delicious... so funny.

All we are missing here is a picture! *patiently taps foot and whistles...

Tracy

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I love soup! I have a few different types of squash sitting on the counter right now, waiting to be cooked, I may have to try this. I never would have thought to add beetroot, but I'll have to try it. I love how eating primally naturally has become seasonal eating for me.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

There's some leftovers - when I have it for lunch today I'll take a picture and post it it's a beautiful raspberry red colour! (Or color for you Americans hehe :P).

Sorry guys I just got home and my parents had eaten all the soup! So no picture but trust me it was beautiful and very deep red!

loligoss is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to make this but use coconut cream instead of the heavy cream (if I add cream). I have beef broth so I'm going to use it in addition to water. I'm going to use pumpkin, squash, carrots and a sweet potato and 2 beets.

Thanks for the idea.

My soup is cooking in the hot pot. I am cooking pumpkin, carrots, beetroot and butternut squash with some garlic, salt, and ginger in water to cover, after I zap it I will add the beef broth. Hope my family like the soup too. They are fussy non-primal eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by loligoss View Post
    My soup is cooking in the hot pot. I am cooking pumpkin, carrots, beetroot and butternut squash with some garlic, salt, and ginger in water to cover, after I zap it I will add the beef broth. Hope my family like the soup too. They are fussy non-primal eaters.
    How did it turn out?? From the ingredients you listed it must've been AT LEAST epic :P

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Amazing. Even the 11 year old who only eats chicken soup (once it's sieved and doesn't have any veg or herbs floating in it) and refused to taste it. Dipped bread in a bowl of it and asked for his own portion. He promptly ate it all. We had seconds ;-). I really didn't need the rest of the meal after that soup. Very very good. I would never have thought to add a beetroot in my "orange" soup.

Added a can of coconut cream as well to make it thicker and richer.