Thread: Question about burning fat for fuel page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Question about burning fat for fuel

Primal Fuel
    What exactly is it about the PB that reprograms our genes to burn fat instead sugar for energy? Is it eating only primal foods or is it the low amount of carbs that PBers consume that forces the body to switch to fat as a fuel source? I would like to know because I've been consuming a lot more carbs over the last 3 weeks in the form of sweet potatoes and potatoes, nuts, primal "granola", dark chocolate and almond butter. I just fell off the sensible eating wagon and am trying to claw my way back on. Yesterday, for the first time, I felt dizzy and lightheaded after lifting heavy weights (I was also 18 hrs. into a 20 hr. IF, but I've done this many times before and felt fine- yesterday was scary, I thought I was going to pass out a few times). I was wondering whether it's possible that I retrained my body to burn sugar instead of fat and therefore did not have a steady fuel supply for my workout. So how easy is it for a fat-burning body to revert back to a sugar burning body- what would it take?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Well the way I see it there are two sides to it.
    Exercise: The constant low intensity stuff uses fat because it's better than sugar for a walk around the block. The high intensity stuff burns through all of the available sugar so you have no choice but to use fat.
    Diet: It is nearly impossible to eat as many carbs while being primal as you can on the SAD. Also, fasting forces you to use fat as well.

Hope that helped.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    What exactly is it about the PB that reprograms our genes to burn fat instead sugar for energy? Is it eating only primal foods or is it the low amount of carbs that PBers consume that forces the body to switch to fat as a fuel source? I would like to know because I've been consuming a lot more carbs over the last 3 weeks in the form of sweet potatoes and potatoes, nuts, primal "granola", dark chocolate and almond butter. I just fell off the sensible eating wagon and am trying to claw my way back on. Yesterday, for the first time, I felt dizzy and lightheaded after lifting heavy weights (I was also 18 hrs. into a 20 hr. IF, but I've done this many times before and felt fine- yesterday was scary, I thought I was going to pass out a few times). I was wondering whether it's possible that I retrained my body to burn sugar instead of fat and therefore did not have a steady fuel supply for my workout. So how easy is it for a fat-burning body to revert back to a sugar burning body- what would it take?
    Does sound like you've been going a bit overboard on the carbs, particularly the nuts. It sounds like that woozy spell you had was the return of the carb flu. Do you track your macros? It might be a good idea for a while just to see where you stand.