Thread: Hair Loss in females page

paleoberg Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi! Does anyone know if following the paleo diet could stop hair loss in women? And if it does, why would it? I know that hair loss is associated with high insulin levels, but I've never heard an explanation of how high insulin levels might cause hair loss. Any links/information would be much appreciated.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

No idea but I do know that I read/saw something about insulin resistance being linked to balding (in men and women) so ... if that's true my thought is primal/paleo can only help!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Hair loss in women should trigger an evaluation of thyroid function. Being either hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid) or hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) can cause hair loss. Of the two conditions, hypothyroid is far more common and often goes undiagnosed for years.

A low tech way to start is by measuring your waking temperature. You must take your waking temperature immediately upon waking, BEFORE getting out of bed. Take your temp for several days in a row, starting on day 3 of your period. Do not bother taking temps more than 10 days after your period started, because after ovulation your waking temperature normally rises quite a bit. Post-menopausal women can take waking temps any day, but should also take several temps before drawing any conclusions.

Frequent oral waking temps during days 3-10 of your cydcle below 97.6 degrees are highly suggestive of an underactive thyroid. Waking temps below 98.2 are suspicious.

Oral waking temps above 99 degrees from day 3-10 of your cycle suggest that either you're sick (viral or bacterial) or that you could be hyperthyroid.

(As an aside, it is possible that contraceptives that contain progesterone, like the Mirena IUD or the Pill, could cause waking temps to be artificially high. In that case you might not want to even bother checking waking temps, and go on to lab testing instead.)

If you want to go the laboratory testing route, you need to get at least TSH, free T3, and free T4 measured. There are other tests available, but those 3 are an excellent start. Many doctors will want to order TSH and skip free T3 and T4, but don't agree to that! Unfortunately, the reference ranges for thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) do not reflect optimal thyroid health, so many people with hypothyroidism don't get diagnosed properly for years, if ever. Knowing free T3 and free T4 will give a much more accurate picture.

Check out Dr. Davis' discussions of thyroid health. His blog, Heart Scan Blog, is paleo-friendly and has a lot of excellent information. I suggest scrolling down the page for the link below, and starting with the following entries:

October 9, 2008

February 3, 2009

February 8, 2009

April 2, 2009

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...yroid%20health

Theriomorphos Guest

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03030/Hair-Loss-Alopecia-Baldness.html

This might be of some help to you.

neighborhood fit is offline Junior Member

Actually, my hair has grown since going primal. I was having terrible dry scalp which I read can happen to women going through menopause. Anyway, since going primal and using coconut oil on my scalp and twists, there has been marked growth and reduction of dryness. It's softer, more manageable and easier to comb. Wish I had found this sooner, it would probably be down my back by now.

“Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

My hair began to fall a lot more since going primal... but that's just the damned genes kicking in, I think. =\ And I'm only 18...

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Between going Primal and going without shampoo, my hair loss is pretty much stopped now. It used to be really bad, and my hair was very fine and thin. It still has a finer texture, but it&#39;s not nearly as thin as it used to be.

emmie is online now Senior Member

It depends on the cause of your hair loss. For many women (like men), it can be genetic. When I began losing hair, I assumed it was because I&#39;m hypothyroid, but I also recall that all the women on my father&#39;s side of the family had similar hair loss issues when they were my age.

Also, when I was very young (14), I went on a severe diet on my own so that I ate what we had at home but very little of it. I lost a lot of weight but also a lot of hair in the front that never grew back. Years later, I learned that lack of protein can do that, and I know I didn&#39;t get enough protein during that time.

Now I avoid harsh shampoos and use "thickening" products to create the appearance of more hair. My very healthy WOE means that my hair grows much faster (i.e., more frequent haircuts needed), but, alas, no thicker.

Paneristi is offline Member

mine is thicker after one year Primal so Im told

Theriomorphos Guest

I am a male with no hairloss fortunately but since the time I have embarked on a Paleo-primal diet I can see marked difference in my hair and skin texture besides body composition. Makes me wonder what was I doing all these years.