Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Rabbit Starvation... (relatively high protein intake) page

Esoteric Fish is offline Member

Question about Rabbit Starvation... (relatively high protein intake)

Primal Fuel
    I know that the body has a limit to the amount of protein it can process at one time, something like 40% protein. You can't live on rabbit meat, because it is too lean; there is too much protein and not enough fat.

Here's my question. I've got extra fat to lose, and I'm following Robb Wolf's recommendation. But when I follow Wolf's recommendations, I eat around 200 grams of lean meat and some veggies, and my total calories are well below maintenance. Of the calories I eat, protein ends up being around 50%, fat is 45%, and carbs are 5%.

Now, by eating 50% of my calories from protein, will this induce rabbit starvation? Or, because there is a calorie deficit and I am meeting the rest of my calorie needs by "eating" my stored bodyfat, is it as though fat makes a much larger percentage of my diet?

I hope that way of putting it makes sense.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    No, you're still having some fat and carbs and your body can use those as fuel. Rabbits are nearly fat-free as is most dear meat. You'd find rabbit fever setting in in a few weeks if you ate protein to the near exclusion of fat and carbs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    No, you're still having some fat and carbs and your body can use those as fuel. Rabbits are nearly fat-free as is most dear meat. You'd find rabbit fever setting in in a few weeks if you ate protein to the near exclusion of fat and carbs.
    Exactly. Not only that, bunny stew in the slow cooker is delectable.
    When I was losing weight I did about 45% each of fat and protein with 10% carbs. No ill effects other than going from size 12 to size 8 (and even those ones are getting too big).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Right now, I'm eating around 60% calories from protein and 20% from fat/20% from carbs while maintaining 50% under maintenance...and I'm in the gym 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week. I think you'll be fine.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Protein is the focus of my diet as well. I'm not as judicious as Choco is in tracking my input but I know that protein is the macro I eat the most of.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    If you still have body fat, this is where your body will get what it needs. Rabbit starvation will only happen if there is NO fat available. Body fat IS fat!!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'm losing weight and adding muscle without gorging on protein and possibly throwing my kidneys under the bus. Just the usual 3000 calories or more a day, mostly from fat, then veggies, then meat. Now a waist size 32" down from 36", and only weigh 175-ish now instead of being stuck at 190 like I was for so long. My body is burning fat between meals, since I only eat in a six hour window except for coconut milk and coffee as breakfast. I understand your question, and would think that you are right in that your body will need to use some fat, but not as much as it would need if you only ate a reasonable amount of meat. Eating that much meat is just giving your body extra building blocks it doesn't need afaik. You are a fat burner now, so let your body burn the fat it has instead of throwing protein in the fire and adding the stress of removing the excess proteins, etc. I mean, there are days when I gorge on meat, but it's not a regular thing. And I don't lose body fat if I eat too much meat too often. But your body isn't my body, so do what works for you, and what you believe to be safe.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    I really wish that tired CW myth about protein causing kidney damage would just die. Kidneys that are already compromised should not be overloaded with protein but protein does not and never did cause kidney damage.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'll do some reading on that, Paleobird. Thanks for the intercept!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'll do some reading on that, Paleobird. Thanks for the intercept!
    No problem. Weird TMI fact about me: I was born with only one kidney (even though renal function is normal). So I had a really good incentive to do a lot of research into this subject before deciding to go Primal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast