Thread: Paleo / Primal Blueprint--can anyone summarize the difference?? page

mkh
    mkh is offline Junior Member

Paleo / Primal Blueprint--can anyone summarize the difference??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is there a difference between Paleo and Primal Blueprint? I am having trouble decifering...they seem the same to me, but want to be sure. I also need to be Gluten Free.....do both/either of these satisfy that requirement?? I know having no grains is a start....

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    The way ive been compartmentalizing it is this:

Paleo is a way of eating, and by itself tends to be a little more strict (especially in terms of dairy and salt).

Primal is a way of life, and yeah that sounds cheezy but its really that. It takes the main tenets of paleo but makes them incorporate-able into an average lifestyle, and allows for variations without beating one up about it. Moreover, it uses the same logic and science behind the diet to support aspects of the lifestyle, such as getting proper sleep, lots of low-intensity exercise, sunlight, play, etc etc etc.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just pick one source and stick with it - they are all gluten free for sure. Read the links in my sig. or best of all, buy and read Mark's book!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    "Primal" is easy to nail down because Mark Sisson has the trademark on it. It is what is in the PB book. See tfarny's sig above.
    "Paleo" on the other hand is a lot more elusive because there are so many different authors who identify themselves more or less with the paleo "movement".

In general Mark is more inclusive and tolerant saying, "If it works for your life, no problem" about such things as dairy, chocolate, coffee, booze, etc. and even allows for the 80/20 principle about not beating yourself up for a minor lapse or something that was out of your control. Some paleo authors can be very strict about absolutely nothing off the straight and narrow path ever.

I found that the paleo approach worked best for me when I was losing weight. All or nothing. Now that I am at my goal, I am being more Primal and enjoying honey in my tea.

mkh
    mkh is offline Junior Member
    Thanks to each of you. I think that is basically what I was seeing...just wanted to be sure. Just wish something would actually WORK for me....patience & perseverence =)

Paleobird Guest
    This is a good resource to self check if things aren't going the way you had hoped yet.

17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

Robb Wolf, despite being the author of the Paleo Solution, actually eats Primal as well.