Thread: Allergies/Greek yogurt/Ear infection page

activia is offline Senior Member

Allergies/Greek yogurt/Ear infection

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I've been eating primally since March. Everything has gone well except that in the spring...then again this fall I had terrible body aches everyday. After going to my primary doc in April (after 2 months of pain) and getting tested for everything, everything came back normal. So I decided to go to an allergiest. I was perscribed a nasal allergy spray after being tested and surprise I do have all sorts of seasonal allergies, a strong dust allergy, and a minor cat allergy (I live and sleep with 2). After taking the meds for a week my body aches went away. Which I found strange that I never had allergy symptoms like body aches in the past. I was then fine for the rest of the summer. At the beginning of September my symptoms came back but this time the nasal spray didnt work. I tried advil, benedryl etc.. nothing was really helping so I stopped taking it all and I decided to try yogurt to increase my prioboitic intake. I got the full fat greek yogurt and added a teaspon of local honey per 4 ounces and ate it twice daily. My symptoms went down and then stopped.. I've sinced lowered my intake to once daily. However about 4 weeks ago I developed an ear ache. Now after reading the forum I'm wondering if its because of the increased dairy intake. I just can't win! Yesterday this went from bad to worse. I ended up with a fever in the afternoon, and a massive sinus headache on my right side (the same side as my bad ear). Which I dont think is that ironic since the temperature around here suddenly dropped so I fear that it hurt my immune system that has been fighting this thing for weeks. This morning I felt better but I still feel swollen limph nodes on my right side and my ear still aches. I hate to have to go on antiobotics and not sure if I need them. Considering going to my primary care doctor. My last ear infection was 9 years ago.. and that was the start of my seasonal allergies as I know it. Thoughts?

Paleobird Guest
    I think your allergy cure worked beautifully and the ear infection is a totally unrelated (although sucky) event. I had ear infections all the time when I was a kid and spent a lot of time swimming in either the ocean or a public pool. They can cause permanent hearing damage and so are not to be taken lightly.
    I'd say, if it doesn't clear up soon on it's own, suck up the non-Primalness and get the antibiotics. Then get your system back on track agin afterward with some more yoghurt.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I agree. Ear/Sinus infections can turn serious very quickly. I am currently giving what I am sure is a sinus infection a heavy dose of home remedies (probiotics, grapefruit seed extract, rooibos tea and vitamin D). If it isn't significantly better by Friday, I will be resorting to the dreaded antibiotics.

I have heard of many folks suffering ear/sinus infections as a reaction to dairy. Maybe replace the yogurt with straight probiotics in powder form?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    I agree. Ear/Sinus infections can turn serious very quickly. I am currently giving what I am sure is a sinus infection a heavy dose of home remedies (probiotics, grapefruit seed extract, rooibos tea and vitamin D). If it isn't significantly better by Friday, I will be resorting to the dreaded antibiotics.

I have heard of many folks suffering ear/sinus infections as a reaction to dairy. Maybe replace the yogurt with straight probiotics in powder form?
    I get all stuffed up in the sinuses if I eat dairy. There are also other probiotic foods such as saurkraut and kombucha to consider adding.

I've been considering probiotic supplements, I just always feel that its more effective (and less expensive) to get your nutrients from real food than from a supplement. Now that allergy season is passing I could cut back on the amount I'm consuming for sure. I dont think I could stomach saurkraut or kombucha. There was a time back when I was on SAD that I did consume yogurt(although it wasn't greek by any means!) on a daily basis and don't remember any side effects. I have been consuming a little sharp cheddar cheese on my omelets almost daily since I've been primal (except for on fasting mornings). (I did try eliminating dairy for a couple of weeks at one point) The yogurt may be a different story though, especially with the amount that I was consistantly consuming. The real test will be next spring I guess...

Well I attempted to make an appointment with my doctor of course no appointments available. Well I'll wait another day, but make sure to go before the end of the week. Thanks all!

OK SO I went to the doctor. My ear is slightly red and has a little fluid. My throat is a little red and limph nodes are inflammed. I do have a slight sinus headache. However she believes my ear pain is caused by my mis aligned jaw. She said its very difficult to treat (because we can give you a pill for it) and gave me a few lifestyle changes to make.... like pureeing my food and not grinding my teeth. She also perscribed antibiotics to see if that helps with my sinus infection. It seems like she just gave it to me so I felt like I got my money's worth out of the situation. She also insisted that I take flonase and Sudafed oh and Advil (dont you just love CW docs?). I plan to fill but not take the antibiotics unless this congestion gets worse. I will be taking my flonase for now. I might try sudafed for a day or two..haven't decided. Advil I dont need. However i'm very confused about the idea with the yogurt. I have slowed down eating it a lot in the last few days especially..and this congestion suddenly got worse in the last couple of days.... so is it causing the problem or helping? I just can't figure it out.. Not sure what to do.