Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Trust page

hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member

No Trust

Primal Fuel
    I just realized as I'm sitting in a class and talking about credible sources in the media, that I don't trust most doctors at all. I feel like almost everything doctors say is irrelevant to those of us who are primal. Anyone else have such a negative view of the medical field?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I say it depends on the doctor and the circumstance. Bottom line- be educated about your health.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I didn't trust them that much before primal. I certainly liked some doctors, like my primary care physician & my former psychologist (who passed away), but I never trusted the answers they gave me. I've never trusted psychotropic drugs as the only way to "manage" depression & anxiety and have fought with doctors many times on how they can know that these aren't damaging.

Of course, now it's much worse...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    My partner's niece and her husband are both medics - she is a GP, he is in gerontology. They HATE that I have taken charge of my own health, check my blood pressure, stopped steroids etc. She calls me a nightmare - while saying how well my partner and I look, how much weight we have lost etc.

They qualified not so long ago - and have learned, it seems, very little about how food affects health, allergies, intolerances etc.

My greatest intolerance now is to the medical profession....

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I work in a hospital. It's a money-based business. There are well-intentioned individuals in the system, but their hands are largely tied - much like the role teachers fill in meeting test quotas instead of ensuring a rounded education - and they are basically held at gunpoint and forced to prescribe pills. Doctors start out as amazing people, but the system warps them into its image. I feel sorry for doctors.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I work in a hospital. It's a money-based business. There are well-intentioned individuals in the system, but their hands are largely tied - much like the role teachers fill in meeting test quotas instead of ensuring a rounded education - and they are basically held at gunpoint and forced to prescribe pills. Doctors start out as amazing people, but the system warps them into its image. I feel sorry for doctors.
    This is a good point, but more and more I've come to distrust the people who enter the medical system from the get-go. As a science major in college, almost all of my classes had a good chunk of premeds in them. By far, the average attitude about them was that they wanted to deal with new topics and challenges by oversimplifying and parsing down the information so that they could throw rote-memorization at the problem. This way of thinking does help them absorb a large amount of information for the MCATS, but it also starts a pattern of poor understanding of the scientific process, lack of critical thinking, and tendency to believe any information handed to them from an official source if its presented in a simplified, abbreviated way.

And more and more, these "official sources" are pharmaceutical reps.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    If it truly was a money-based business, meaning they worried about the money coming in from the consumers and not from big pharma, big insurance, and most especially big government, they would definitely do a much better job at promoting and providing superb health care. Otherwise, they'd go out of business.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    No...I like my GP and OB docs...both support primal lifestyles.

I like and respect doctors for the same reasons I like and respect our dogs' vets- they're pretty good at fixing things when they break, but not so good at a bunch of other stuff that we lump into their responsibilities (and are tangentially related, I suppose), like nutrition.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I haven't trusted them in years. They are educated and indoctrinated into the CW of today - which is all effed-up and upside-down. They go "by the book" - and today's "book" is all wrong. So no, I don't trust them. I've seen first-hand myself and second-hand through close friends the harm they can do.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Paleobird Guest
    I'm going to be the rebel here and say that I absolutely adore my doctors. My GP is fully on board with the PB and is even trying to talk my Dad (also her patient) into it.

I think there is a lot of gratuitous doctor bashing that goes on on this site. Yes, there are some CW filled idiots. So, vote with your feet and your dollars and go find a doctor who isn't. They do exist.

We are responsible to be partners in our own health. Seeking out the right doctor, not just a blanket mistrust of all doctors, is the answer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast