Thread: stopped loosing weight page

dmanlong is offline Junior Member

stopped loosing weight

Primal Fuel
    I lost 40 lbs since May and have never been happier choosing to go primal. Over the last 3 weeks I have not managed to drop a single pound. I am still about 25 lbs over weight and would like to at least loose another 20. I almost never cheat and add in grains or sweets. I lift 3 to 4 days a week and have even started walking 45 minutes 3 days a week. Still the weight is not dropping. I have totally cut out my wine at night for the last two weeks to kick start my diet again. The weight came off effortlessly and now it has just stopped.

Any suggestions?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. For 3 or 4 days, cut your fats and start eating some starch. Instead of eating red meat, go for chicken breast and tuna with all your meals, and 2-3 sweet potatoes and 2-3 bananas each day. After around 3-4 days on a low fat, starchy diet, snap back into your normal routine. You may need a leptin bounce from a few days of eating starch.

I strongly recommend not mixing fat with starch. That's the most effective way to gain weight - when your body is processing carbohydrate for fuel, it'll store your dietary fat. You're best off trying to keep fats under 50g a day for those days and carbs in the 200-300g range. Make the rest protein. Try and eat at least maintenance calories and up to 20% over. Complex carbs - starches - are what you want here. This is not an invitation to eat sugar or grains. Go for potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, bananas, gluten-free oats and the like. If you love the idea of a bowl of oatmeal with sliced banana and a glass of skim milk for breakfast, and a lean turkey burger with oven fries for lunch, now's your chance.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You can try Choco's way, which is definitely effective (I'm doing something similar at the moment myself), but are you eating a lot of either nut or dairy products? Those are both pretty common culprits in weight loss stalls. Cutting or eliminating nuts and dairy is a good thing to try if you don't want to do a lot of counting and measuring right now.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I do eat a decent amount of nuts. I love to buy those bags of pistachios and chomp on them as a snack. Sometimes I buy pork rinds and sour cream/ guac as a snack. I don't over-indulge in dairy. I have some feta or goat cheese on my daily salad. I also usually keep a can of raw almonds lying around.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Dropping nuts broke my plateau recently. At least, it got me down from 177 to the low 170's. Now I'm almost pure primal. Fats, greens, roots, and fish, liver etc. Have you tried adding coconut milk and oil to your fats when cooking? A can of coconut milk makes a great 765 calorie breakfast to get your system cooking. How many calories do you eat in a day? You might not be eating enough. I easily break 3000 calories per day, sometimes I even hit 4000, and I'm still losing weight.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanlong View Post
    I do eat a decent amount of nuts. I love to buy those bags of pistachios and chomp on them as a snack. Sometimes I buy pork rinds and sour cream/ guac as a snack. I don't over-indulge in dairy. I have some feta or goat cheese on my daily salad. I also usually keep a can of raw almonds lying around.
    Sounds like too much snacking in general to me. If you only eat real full meals your body has time to get into fat burning mode in between but if you keep putting in a bit of food here and there, the fat burning never really gets fired up.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah that sounds like way too many nuts. That could be your big issue right there (nuts seem to have a uniquely fattening effect on a lot of people), or it could be the snacking itself like Paleobird said. I would stop buying nuts for a while and see if that gets you moving again. The advice to eat bigger, more filling meals and try not to snack is very important too. That means eat lots of protein (by far the most filling and satiety-inducing macronutrient)! Red meat and eggs are your best buddies if long-lasting fullness is your goal.

Oh, also, no liquid food. At all. Doesn't matter if it's Primal liquid food like coconut milk or Mark's whey shake mix. Liquid food does not keep you full; it's way too easily digested and super-easy to overeat because your body's satiety response doesn't register it the same as solid food.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    This is really only accurate when that's how you eat every day. No one in their right mind would tell you the average person should eat 300+g of carbohydrate a day unless they're an endurance athlete of some type. However, once you get pretty lean, one of the best things you can do is throw in a few 300g carbohydrate days every now and again, provided to drop your fats to <50g (the lower the better). This carbohydrate curve is for the very overweight and those that want to maintain their body weight IMO. After awhile, prolonged low carb will bottom out your leptin levels and make you plateau. Carbs can be the disease, but they can also be the cure. Just pick healthy, starch-based carbs.

That being said, nuts can be absolutely deadly. I think they're one of the most dangerous and misunderstood foods of all.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks Choco and everyone else. I will go ahead and try a carb refeed 3 day cycle and also eliminate nuts from my diet for a while. I suppose seed are out as well?