Thread: Mood swings page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Mood swings

Shop Now
    I've only been living primally for a few weeks and I have yet another question...I have been having horrible mood swings in the last few days. I'm normally a very mellow person and haven't had mood swings this bad since I stopped using birth control pills a few years ago. Could this be because of the primal type diet or could something else be causing it? It's not pms symptoms or any other type of "girl" issue. I feel like I've been getting frusterated at everything and my poor kids have been setting me off with just little things. I even snapped at my husband last night. Normally I can recognize when I'm getting a case of the grumpies coming on and just shake it off, but lately I can't help it. I've also been feeling a little shaky today, almost like I'm feeling slightly weak. Could these two things be related?

I HATE feeling this way! Has anyone else gone through this? Can anyone give me any advice on how to deal with this and how long should I expect these mood swings to last? I feel like I'm out of the carb flu, it only lasted about 10 days for me and I still have a little bit of that foggy brain feeling.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I've only been living primally for a few weeks and I have yet another question...I have been having horrible mood swings in the last few days. I'm normally a very mellow person and haven't had mood swings this bad since I stopped using birth control pills a few years ago. Could this be because of the primal type diet or could something else be causing it? It's not pms symptoms or any other type of "girl" issue. I feel like I've been getting frusterated at everything and my poor kids have been setting me off with just little things. I even snapped at my husband last night. Normally I can recognize when I'm getting a case of the grumpies coming on and just shake it off, but lately I can't help it. I've also been feeling a little shaky today, almost like I'm feeling slightly weak. Could these two things be related?

I HATE feeling this way! Has anyone else gone through this? Can anyone give me any advice on how to deal with this and how long should I expect these mood swings to last? I feel like I'm out of the carb flu, it only lasted about 10 days for me and I still have a little bit of that foggy brain feeling.
    If you are still feeling foggy brained, you probably are not out of the carb flu yet. Hang tight. Soon you will be feeling so awesome it should be illegal.

I've been feeling awesome, and then yesterday I started feeling so grumpy! I guess you could be right, despite having tons of energy and feeling amazing in every way; I have still been dealing with some confusion and foggy brain stuff still. Would eating sugar have anything to do with the mood swing? I just remembered that last night I ate a cookie that I made for a party today, I needed to test it to make sure it was the right consistancy (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to baking). The sugar in the cookie made me feel really sick to my stomach and maybe thats contributing to my bad mood?

Paleobird Guest
    Sugar could definitely throw a monkey wrench into things. I'm not sure if one cookie would be enough but then IIRC from your other thread, you are a rather small sized person, right?

Also, there are differences between people in the optimal level of carbs. I thrive and lose weight with mine really low but some others have reported feeling tired and generally rotten. You have to find the sweet spot that works for you in this regard.

So once the cookie monster is gone, give it a few days, then if you are still feeling yucky perhaps experiment with a little higher level of good carbs. Not talking about cupcakes here. Something like parsnips or carrots.

LOL I should be a small sized person, but my weight makes me appear otherwise. I'm 5'3 and about 158 lbs right now, so technically I'm just short atm. I'm still not sure what works best for me. I started losing weight rapidly (7 lbs in 10 days), but the last two days I've not lost any weight at all so I think I need to start tweaking my diet like you suggest. I also had a few really late nights over the weekend with a friend of mine so that could also play a role. My foggy brain sure makes it hard to think clearly about something I should probably be able to figure out myself haha. I feel like a crazy person asking all these questions on this board.

Paleobird Guest
    LOL I should be a small sized person, but my weight makes me appear otherwise. I'm 5'3 and about 158 lbs right now, so technically I'm just short atm. I'm still not sure what works best for me. I started losing weight rapidly (7 lbs in 10 days), but the last two days I've not lost any weight at all so I think I need to start tweaking my diet like you suggest. I also had a few really late nights over the weekend with a friend of mine so that could also play a role. My foggy brain sure makes it hard to think clearly about something I should probably be able to figure out myself haha. I feel like a crazy person asking all these questions on this board.
    Oh, between the sugar and the sleep disruption, that's your problem right there. Don't tweak your diet just yet. Let your body settle back down and get back into the groove. It sounds like you were doing really well. It is very common for a big weight loss to happen right off the bat and then a bit of a stall as your body adjusts and figures out where to go from here.

But you should have the sugar cleaned out and be getting good sleep first. Then think about tweaks.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Not getting at least 7.5 hours of sleep makes me feel terrible no matter how well I'm eating, and I don't feel absolutely tip-top unless I get 9. I also feel noticeably worse if I go to bed later than about 10:30 PM, even if I am able to sleep my full 9 hours. Not bad, just not optimal. I feel my absolute best going to bed at 9:30 PM and waking up (sans alarm) at 6:30 AM. People seem to need different amounts of sleep to be at their best.

Sleep is super-important. It's always the thing you're not getting quite right that will determine how (not) good you feel--and that could be sleep, diet, stress, exercise, or lots of things, depending on what you've got going on in your life. It's not always the food, although that's probably the biggest one for most people.

If you are anything like me (and you probably aren't, so take this with a chunk of salt), when you first start restricting carbs, your body will go absolutely nuts with any amount of sugar. It took me a solid few months to really adapt my body to where I was in fat metabolism as my "normal" state most of the time. Then if I had some sugar it wouldn't totally throw me off, because my body wasn't craving it all the time. But at the beginning I had to be careful, because my body was primed to go back into sugarholic mode at the drop of a scone. But I had a horrible sugar addiction.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Not getting at least 7.5 hours of sleep makes me feel terrible no matter how well I'm eating, and I don't feel absolutely tip-top unless I get 9. I also feel noticeably worse if I go to bed later than about 10:30 PM, even if I am able to sleep my full 9 hours. Not bad, just not optimal. I feel my absolute best going to bed at 9:30 PM and waking up (sans alarm) at 6:30 AM. People seem to need different amounts of sleep to be at their best.

Sleep is super-important. It's always the thing you're not getting quite right that will determine how (not) good you feel--and that could be sleep, diet, stress, exercise, or lots of things, depending on what you've got going on in your life. It's not always the food, although that's probably the biggest one for most people.

If you are anything like me (and you probably aren't, so take this with a chunk of salt), when you first start restricting carbs, your body will go absolutely nuts with any amount of sugar. It took me a solid few months to really adapt my body to where I was in fat metabolism as my "normal" state most of the time. Then if I had some sugar it wouldn't totally throw me off, because my body wasn't craving it all the time. But at the beginning I had to be careful, because my body was primed to go back into sugarholic mode at the drop of a scone. But I had a horrible sugar addiction.
    Well put about the drop of a scone.
    About sleep. People may be able to manage to get by with different amounts but I really don't think anyone is at their best with less than 8. The resulting cortisol rise could nix any weight loss efforts for days.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Ditch your scale. Take measurements instead. Seriously, get rid of the scale and don't try to get on one for another month or so. Weighing yourself every day is not going to give you any kind of useful information about what is happening in your body.

Don't start tweaking yet, either. You've just barely started. First, weight loss is not linear- you will drop a bunch, then plateau for a little while, then drop some more. Second, your body hasn't actually had time to adjust to its new fuel source and way of eating. How can you know if your tweaks are working if you don't even know if the original plan was working for you?

That first few pounds you dropped was likely just water weight, and doesn't really mean anything useful. Your body needs time to switch over to burning fat, get over the physical addiction to grains, and then start redoing its composition. This process takes a few weeks to a few months, not a few days. Stick to the basics for at least a month, then make tweaks if you feel like you aren't making progress.

I'm surprised no one else commented on this.