Thread: Deli Meats and Salads page

daccathara is offline Junior Member

Deli Meats and Salads

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I know they said deli meat is usually bad for you but how about the ones that are advertised as gluten free, nitrate and nitrite free, very low sodium and no antibiotics? One brand that I've been buying at my local grocery store is Boars Head. There is also a brand at Costco (forgot the actual brand name) but it comes in a 2lb package.

I like to dice these up and throw them in my Big Ass Salad.

Also, I get tired of salads by thursday or friday and have a very difficult time eating them on the weekends! What are some other lunch options that do not involve making a salad that you eat?

thanks

David

Jennerator is offline Member
    I like primal sushi- take a nori roll, mash up an avocado instead of rice, and fill it with whatever tasty toppings you want (you can find nori in whole foods and asian markets)

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Why not invest in a meat slicer? I have this one and it's awesome:

Amazon.com: EdgeCraft 610 Chef's Choice Premium Electric Food Slicer: Kitchen & Dining

You're paying $8+/lb for processed meat at the deli. Even the better stuff is still suspect. You can get a rump roast for $2.99/lb, cook it any way you want it and slice it up yourself. It tastes much better, it's way healthier and it's 1/3 of the price. The slicer will pay for itself in a couple of months. Don't forget to slice up your fresh cheese! I feel bad for all the people paying $5.99/lb for...barf...American cheese. I can get raw milk cheddar for $8/lb and slice it myself
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

daccathara is offline Junior Member
    Where can you get a rump roast for $2.99/lb? Is it grass fed? And for turkey and chicken, do I actually have to buy a whole chicken/turkey?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Bottom round roast is on sale for $1.99/lb this week at Shop Rite. Grassfed is of absolute minimal concern to me. Corn fed beef is still better for you than pastured chicken, which is sold for insane prices. I could eat 2 pounds of corn fed beef and balance out the n3:n6 ratio with a single pharmaceutical grade fish oil pill. Probably even less since bottom round is so lean. Shop Rite also has whole pork loins on sale for $1.99/lb. I'll be getting two roasts and a loin this weekend!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I 2nd the idea of cooking your own. Just do big roasts and such. Minimal time effort and maximum reward. You'll have enough for lunches all week for very little work.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I generally cook my own, but I'm not above eating deli meat if I am short on time.