Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supplement overload!!! O_O what do I really need/not need? page

Siren is offline Senior Member

Supplement overload!!! O_O what do I really need/not need?

Primal Fuel
    I know about the importance of vitamins, minerals, and other micro-and macronutrients, but I’m having a hard time swallowing all these horse pills several times a day. Here’s what I’m currently taking:
    - calcium/ magnesium
    - B vitamin complex
    - glucosamine chondroitin (I have terrible joints)
    - Vitamin E

And here’s what I know I need more of:
    - Vitamin D
    - Probiotics
    - Omega-3/ fish oils
    - Magnesium (for nighttime, like Natural Calm)

I don’t so much mind taking supplements, but having to do it 3x a day, and (some of them) 2 pills at a time for each supplement? I don’t want to underdo it, but I definitely don’t want to overdo it either (though I know it’s pretty hard to OD on supplements); it’s just all. Those. PILLS. Also, the main reason I’m not depending on food sources alone for my micro- and macronutrients is because honestly, really, I just cannot eat that much food in a day, sometimes not even 2 days. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what I need and don’t really need, and whether there are truly decent food sources for the stuff I do need without having to eat a metric ton of it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, and Grok On! =)
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't take all the stuff you listed, but can you purchase more concentrated doses? for instance, my vit D pills are 5000 IU each, I believe that might be the highest you can get, so I only take one a day or every other day, instead of taking 3-4 1000IU a day or whatever. Same goes for the O3 I buy. Besides those two, I take cod liver oil about 3x/week and mag (400mg) once nightly, but I forget to all the time.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I would stop taking any supplements for a couple weeks. Then, add them in as you see fit, and only add ones you know are helping you.

Siren is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    and only add ones you know are helping you.
    How do I know which ones are helping me? Other than falling asleep easier because of the magnesium and a little more oomph in my energy from the B complex, I can't tell what's "working" and what's not. How can you tell?
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    How do I know which ones are helping me? Other than falling asleep easier because of the magnesium and a little more oomph in my energy from the B complex, I can't tell what's "working" and what's not. How can you tell?
    I guess it's hard to tell... But I'd say stick with the most important ones like Vit. D (humans don't get enough sunlight), Fish Oil (balance O6/O3), Probiotics (if you're having digestive problems), and then work from there. You have to ask yourself if the small amount of stress from having a supplement "schedule" is worth the possible benefits.

I'd cut out the calcium/magnesium AND the other magnesium. You can easily get those from foods for nutritional purposes. And if you're having trouble sleeping, there's many non-nutritional factors in place. Try doing more exercise during the day, getting sunlight during the day, turning off all bright lights+TV+computer a couple hours before bed... etc.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm with Al Kalvado (spelling?) on this question. I don't take supplements at all ever. The human body when being fed the world's most optimal diet (Primal) doesn't need supplements. Mother nature did not design us to be deficient. I think most of the "deficiencies" are created as hype by people who want to sell you supplements.

Caveat: occasional individuals with real health problems can benefit from supplementation. E.g. I needed extra calcium and such when recuperating from chemo to get my bone density back to normal. Another example : if someone couldn't eat right say due to traveling a lot for work, I can see that some supplements could help close the gap.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    In this case, I would take the B complex and magnesium and get rid of the rest. Maybe some fish oil if you are concerned about O3s. Beyond that, if you're joints start aching, add back the glucosamine, and so on...
    Last edited by Yvonne PHX; 10-25-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: clarity

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I would say the bare essentials are fish oil, vitamin d, and a multi. In my opinion everything else is probably not needed. Then again if you are eating lots of fruits and vegetables, get a lot of sun, and eat fatty fish on a regular basis, you probably don't need even these.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm with Al Kalvado (spelling?) on this question. I don't take supplements at all ever. The human body when being fed the world's most optimal diet (Primal) doesn't need supplements. Mother nature did not design us to be deficient. I think most of the "deficiencies" are created as hype by people who want to sell you supplements.

Caveat: occasional individuals with real health problems can benefit from supplementation. E.g. I needed extra calcium and such when recuperating from chemo to get my bone density back to normal. Another example : if someone couldn't eat right say due to traveling a lot for work, I can see that some supplements could help close the gap.
    Yes and no on this one. I just started a major supplement routine (The Mood Cure) and I'm also learning about the nutrients in modern food. Her basic premise is that a lot of our mental issues stem from malnutrition. Yes, we are getting better nutrition than the average person. However, the average meat and vegetable is not as nutritious as they were even 50 years ago. I am on major supps because I have major deficiencies to fix- and it's working. Will I remain on the multivitamin, calcium, and vitamin C twice a day indefinately like she seems to expect? No. I hate pills. But I will keep them to take at least sometimes until I can control my food from seed to plate- and it has the nutrient profile I need.

OP- with the glucosamine/chondroiten, I've heard that the best way to test it is actually to drop it for a time. If you do not feel worse, it's not working. I know it's expensive, but Cosequin (is the human version Cosamin?) is supposed to be the best.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Yes and no on this one. I just started a major supplement routine (The Mood Cure) and I'm also learning about the nutrients in modern food. Her basic premise is that a lot of our mental issues stem from malnutrition. Yes, we are getting better nutrition than the average person. However, the average meat and vegetable is not as nutritious as they were even 50 years ago. I am on major supps because I have major deficiencies to fix- and it's working. Will I remain on the multivitamin, calcium, and vitamin C twice a day indefinately like she seems to expect? No. I hate pills. But I will keep them to take at least sometimes until I can control my food from seed to plate- and it has the nutrient profile I need.

OP- with the glucosamine/chondroiten, I've heard that the best way to test it is actually to drop it for a time. If you do not feel worse, it's not working. I know it's expensive, but Cosequin (is the human version Cosamin?) is supposed to be the best.
    I'm so glad it's working for you. Mental health issues are a real health problem so supplementation can definitely do some good there. What I am against is people taking loads of supplements because somebody told them it was good for them on general principles. If you have something wrong to fix, by all means fix it. But if it ain't broke....

And I agree that the average food product is not as nutritious as it used to be, but we are not eating the average. We Primals are eating grass fed, organically grown everything right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast