Thread: FAIL!!!! Baconnaise, HELP, I'm crying page

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member

Exclamation FAIL!!!! Baconnaise, HELP, I'm crying

so I used this method/recipe to try to make baconnaise. Make Your Own Mayo In 2 Minutes | Lifehacker Australia
    I bought a handmixer JUST for this purpose. I've had my heart set on making baconnaise deviled eggs for weeks! I put everything in the cup, put the hand mixer in, the blade was too big to get to the bottom of the glass, so I poured into a bowl. I beat and beat and beat until the brand spankin new mixer is smoking and hot in my hand. NO BACONNAISE!!!! It looks like dijon mustard soup. AND I used up all my bacon grease, lovingly saved for months. I am so close to tears now! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about hacking mayo in 2 minutes, I thought you had to drizzle your fat of choice in slowly. This very problem crops up on this board from time to time. I'd add another yolk just to see what happens and if still no mayo temper the mixture and you've got a good base for a salad dressing.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

I added a whole egg and hand beat it and it stiffened up, still not as thick mayo from a jar, but it's not soup. whew!

boiling the eggs now for my deviled eggs mmmmmm
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

JHen is offline Member
    When makign mayonaise, you need to drizzle the oil/fat in slowly at the beginging or it will soup

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you fixed it. You can start a new emulsion with an egg yolk and a little acid (lemon juice vinegar). Then add a drop of oil and whisk. Then add two drops and whisk, repeat. Then once you have a solid emulsion going, you can slowly add in your broken mayo and it will incorporate.

Quote Originally Posted by NurseMama5 View Post
    I put everything in the cup, put the hand mixer in, the blade was too big to get to the bottom of the glass, so I poured into a bowl.
    This is where you went wrong. That method will NOT work in a bowl, I forget the explanation as to why, but the shape of the container has something to do with that method working. If you use a bowl, you absolutely have to drizzle the oil in slowly.

Ah, here's a site that explains it a little better:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/t...tes-or-le.html

"The easy solution? Use a hand blender. With a hand blender you can add all of your ingredients—oil included—directly to the blending cup. Because it is less dense than the other ingredients, the oil will float at the top. When you subsequently stick the blades of the hand blender down into the cup, they'll be in direct contact with the egg yolk, water, acid, and mustard. Turn that blender on, and it creates a vortex, gradually pulling the oil down into the whirling blades."
    Last edited by fishergirl106; 10-25-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    "Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind."

Thanks guys!

I'll know better for next time. It's set up quite nicely in the fridge and baconnaise deviled eggs are delicious!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Normally you drizzle the oil in slowly, giving the egg time to absorb it. When you use the cup method the oil sits on top of the egg and the blender slowly whips it down into the egg, so its kinda like drizzling it in. When you mixed it in the bowl the egg didn't have time to absorb the oil and it curdled (I think that's the right term). The best way to solve is what you did-add more egg and whip (and pray).

Oh...wrote all that and realized Fishergirl already explained it perfectly. Oh well. Glad your baconaisse turned out!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Check online and in cookbooks like the Joy of Cooking for mayo basics. I usually use olive oil or avocado oil for the bulk of the mayo and add maybe 2 tb. to 1/4 cup of bacon grease (just heated so it is melted but not hot) and drizzle it in last for extra flavor. I am usually successful with blender mayo (I also make blender hollindaise sauce.) The weather (such as a thunder storm) can really screw up your mayo, too.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Carlos2sun is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Sounds like you fixed it. You can start a new emulsion with an egg yolk and a little acid (lemon juice vinegar). Then add a drop of oil and whisk. Then add two drops and whisk, repeat. Then once you have a solid emulsion going, you can slowly add in your broken mayo and it will incorporate.
    Thanks for your advice,I tryed it yesterday,it was very delecious