Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated! Alone in my household... page

danthebucsfan is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Frustrated! Alone in my household...

Primal Fuel
    Today I am frustrated, sad, and feel like this is the only place I can turn...first my situation.

I am married and a father of a 14 yo boy and 12yo girl. In May I started juicing and cutting back on meat and eggs after seeing the documentary "Forks Over Knives. I lost weight (I am a 5'11' and went from 183 to 175). When football season started I made a huge batch of ribs. For a week I ate two or three ribs with my lunch. BAM! My workouts got better, I felt sooo much better, my weight dropped, etc.

Completely confused, I just happened to find "Fat Heads" on Netflix. After watching that I bought Gary Taubes book and have since finished "The Primal Blueprint" and am halfway through "The Paleo Solution".

I have been about 90% primal for three weeks and feel great! My weight is 168ish and I feel stronger, sleep about 9 hours a night, etc.

My wife does not understand or agree with my nutritional lifestyle. She is overweight (I would guess 30 - 40 pounds) but her doctors assure her she is healthy as a horse. I have learned over the past 20 plus years to not push anything having to do with diet and exercise on her. She thinks I am crazy! (How could ALL the Dr.s on the planet be WRONG, she asks). But, I bite my tongue and walk away.

Now the frustration...I started making my kids eggs/bacon/sausage with fruit for breakfast. They loved it! Wanted it EVERY day. Then, a few days ago, they started turning down the primal breakfast and asking for cereal with skim milk. Someone obviously talked to them and is injecting CW into them. This morning, as my daughter had Cheerios with skim milk. I explained to her at a high level how this raises blood sugar and insulin is produced to...blah, blah. She yelled at me to leave her alone and that I am wrong.

This breaks my heart. There is a combination of influences here--her school, her mother, and her grandmother--that are "educating" her in the CW nutritional way. I explained to her later that it is my responsibility as a father to do what I think is best for her and that I believe, based on my research and how my system is reacting, that what she is hearing, CW, is not necessarily the best.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I am trying my very best to lead by example and not "force" my household to PB. I am alone in my lifestyle and it hurts me deeply so see my kids slurping down Cheerios when I am standing next to the carton of free-range, organic brown eggs.

Thanks for listening. Any advice?

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    OMG right here man.

My daughter is nearly 11 mo and she's being fed cheerios. I mean come on!

The only advice I can give you is this: Develop a sweet 6-pack and worry about yourself.

They will all head down "don't give a crap" lane and push you away with CW.

It doesn't matter what medical science says. Even CW doctors agree children at my daughter's age should just have breastmilk. Whatever. I told my wife that if she wants to feed her cheerios, she is going to be responsible for her diet. Not me.

I shed manly tears every night when I see my daughter suffering every day with terrible diaper rashes, screaming at 1AM every morning.

You aren't the only one here with this issue.

Where do you live anyway?
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

danthebucsfan is offline Junior Member
    @fpsjosh01,

Thanks for the reply and advice--it helps to know that I am not alone!

I am in Tampa, FL

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danthebucsfan View Post
    I am in Tampa, FL
    I see. I'm looking to network with a bunch of people who can't find support from their own families.
    Follow me on google+

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    I have been slowly talking to my girls, 15 and 17 (in two weeks). It's taken time and love and encouragement and consistently showing them the material. I let them watch "Fat Head", "King corn", "Frankensteer" and others. I was a vegetarian for 17 years. It's been hard for me to do a 180 and then tell them to do the same. So, Primal works, I feel better and I keep gently plugging at them. Fix them Primal Pancakes with fruit and whipped cream. Fix them Primal Muffins. Keep doing what you're doing and they will see the truth. My 15 yo loves chicken and we didn't eat it all while vegetarian. Find what works for your kids (like bacon and eggs) and feed it to them for "special occasions" and then increase the special occasions to every other day and ...

Kind of back door it, know what I mean? It's worked with mine but it does take time.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

1949katie is offline Member
    I, too, am alone in my household. Obese husband and daughter. They think I'm a nut. Interesting that I'm the only one who is normal weight, feel great and have a pretty upbeat attitude. And I'm happy to exercise most days. I'm never really hungry and they're always hungry. I don't have minor children, so I don't have to argue with anyone. Take care of yourself and maintain top notch health insurance for your family.

You know, after watching fat head, my wife and mother in law stuck to their CW harder.

It's a double edged sword.

The worst always happens, especially if you're known to have a mental disorder already.

Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    Kind of back door it, know what I mean? It's worked with mine but it does take time.
    Yeah, good luck with that. Going against everything they grew up on is more motivation to stick with cw than you think.
    Follow me on google+

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Sad thread is sad. I'm another one living in a household of SAD enthusiasts. I prepare primal meals for my kids and husband, but when he refuses to eat it, so do the kids. And on top of that, I have to deal with relatives who encourage our kids to gorge on processed junk. (Why in the world does every family gathering has to revolve around unhealthy eating?)

The worst thing is that my oldest child is getting the CW message in school. Her teachers promote the heck out of the "healthy whole grains" mantra. Hmm, wonder who's behind that?

Here's to us helping our families break free of CW and all the unhealthiness that goes with it.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    OP that really is heartbreaking. I too am alone in the way I eat among friends and family, but I can't imagine seeing your kids turned against you like that. I'm sure as time goes on, and you become visibly healthier, your wife will come around. Just stick with it and don't give up, set an example for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    You know, after watching fat head, my wife and mother in law stuck to their CW harder.
    This is why I don't recommend Fat Head to anyone; it's a terrible "documentary". The science may be sound but I constantly felt like punching the guy in his smug, smarmy face.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just want to say that I think it is wonderful how supportive you are of breastfeeding and how knowledgeable you are about infant nutrition. We followed CW with our first but our second had nothing but my milk until 10 months, which was when she began to feed herself. She's three years old and still nursing and is surprisingly aware of her body's needs.

My husband came home a couple of days ago from a long business trip and we had pizza- our once a month indulgence. She had bad stomach pains the next day and told me "I shouldn't have had that pizza, it was wrong and it hurt my belly!" This is her understanding, just from me talking about our food, describing how our bodies work and her questions about life.

It really must be SO hard knowing your little girl is hurting because of the food she is being given . Our first daughter had that constantly because at the time I didn't know how to feed her properly- so she got the cereal and grains all the time. Five years old and after switching to primal, no more digestive issues.

My husband is not primal, so sometimes his food choices become a stumbling block for the girls, but over all he is supportive after seeing how much better we feel.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast