Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me when it hasn't worked! page

sires6 is offline Senior Member

Tell me when it hasn't worked!

Primal Fuel
    Alright. I have done some reading and it's not all "drink the coolaid" out there for Paleo/Primal. I would like to know if there are people that it hasn't worked, it hasn't cured diabetes, heart disease.

Did you follow PB very closely? Did you go VLC and lose weight?

Is there anyone here that it hasn't worked?

I really am curious are we flying in the face of CW and the SAD that my father, the doctor preached for years (before he passed from congestive heart failure)?
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    I've wondered this exact same thing - if this doesn't work, if this isn't the way we should all be eating (the royal We for humanity), where are those that stay fat, high cholesterol-riddled, and chronically fatigued who've tried it? Interested to hear from other folks on this.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    I'd assume that the people for whom it hasn't worked left the board ;-)

Well, our results aren't perfect. My husband saw great changes in his diabetes within weeks, but it only budged his blood pressure a little down and he's still on two meds for that. I had a great reduction in blood pressure and I was disappointed that he only had a small one.

Probably not exactly what you want, but it's something, lol! Overall I'm thrilled with the results we've both had, but I do wish his blood pressure had gone down more like it does for some. For him though, maybe it will come with more weight loss.

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    haha and my boyfriend saw amazing changes in his blood pressure! He was on the high end and had been his whole life and within 6 months of Paleo he is now on the low end. And we use a lot of salt(CW myth it chronically raises blood pressure?), so that shows it is different for everyone. My blood pressure was almost too low, my hands and feet always cold before I started, now I'm in the perfect blood pressure range and don't have the coldness. It brought us both to a pleasant homeostasis.
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

JHen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m e g a n foxy View Post
    haha and my boyfriend saw amazing changes in his blood pressure! He was on the high end and had been his whole life and within 6 months of Paleo he is now on the low end. And we use a lot of salt(CW myth it chronically raises blood pressure?), so that shows it is different for everyone. My blood pressure was almost too low, my hands and feet always cold before I started, now I'm in the perfect blood pressure range and don't have the coldness. It brought us both to a pleasant homeostasis.
    Yes salt is a CW myth.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by "hasn't worked"? Just because a certain way of eating hasn't solved a specific disease doesn't mean it's not the best diet. Eating the way your body has evolved to eat will have positive effects on your body. And although these effects are usually visible, them not being visible doesn't mean the diet "isn't working".

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    What do you mean by "hasn't worked"? Just because a certain way of eating hasn't solved a specific disease doesn't mean it's not the best diet. Eating the way your body has evolved to eat will have positive effects on your body. And although these effects are usually visible, them not being visible doesn't mean the diet "isn't working".
    I agree. I have to scratch my head at folks who think eating whole, unprocessed foods "wouldn't work." Yeah, crap out of a box or can is probably MUCH better.

I also think people expect too much...a la the "I've been eating a shit diet for decades but have been eating primal for a week and I still have high blood pressure, it's not working!"
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    Alright. I have done some reading and it's not all "drink the coolaid" out there for Paleo/Primal. I would like to know if there are people that it hasn't worked, it hasn't cured diabetes, heart disease.

Did you follow PB very closely? Did you go VLC and lose weight?

Is there anyone here that it hasn't worked?

I really am curious are we flying in the face of CW and the SAD that my father, the doctor preached for years (before he passed from congestive heart failure)?
    I am pretty sure that you will probably have to go on nutrition forums not on primal/paleo sites to find people it doesn't work for. But trust me, there are a lot out there.

Paleo didn't work for me because I couldn't stick to it. Grains are too delicious to give up.
    Last edited by jimhensen; 10-25-2011 at 09:53 AM.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't do Paleo, it seems overly restrictive. But I can do the primal lifestyle. I am not sure what you mean by "worked" some people are looking for a LOT of weight loss... I haven't had that. But I have increased energy, kicked my Claritan D habit, have no indigestion and most importantly... can stick to this for the long term... that is success for me...

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    What I meant is that there is still CW out there, and good info, that questions whether this is a workable solution or not. Now, I don't get all my info from Wiki, but there is some info here: Paleolithic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and it clearly calls into question as to whether the Paleo diet is the right one for overall health, wellness and lifestyle. Now, having said that, I know that there is a difference between Paleo and Primal... mostly milk and the allowance of tubers. Knowing that some carbs are necessary hits straight at some of the questions arising on the Wiki. One of the admitted problems is cost. Cereal is the food of the poor. So, how does that fit into the thoughts of rich, white, Americans which is a huge portion of computer users and probably a large section of the "audience" of MDA?

I used to be "it's this" or "it's that" kind of gal, (vegetarian is THE way to go because it's better for us, but low glycemic, and you should soak your grains before you use them and... you get the drill) but I am older now and realize that there is truth in everything in moderation. I also realize that for most of my life I have been plugged a load of hoohey and want to "clear away the chaff."

So, having dieted and been a vegetarian and a doctor's daughter, well, I need to hear it from some of the folks here, the good and the bad, the right and the wrong.

I don't always pay attention to studies, because, as all of us here know, studies are fudged all the time. I hate that, but I am a firm believer of the truth in enough subjective responses to be objective.

Fair enough?
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast