Thread: testosterone level vs. high protein consumption page

David is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Just read from "Eat Stop Eat" the following: "While it is well documented that high protein diets and high fiber diets tend to decrease testosterone levels and diets with lower protein but higher saturated fat tend to increase testosterone levels, short term fasting can also have an effect".

Since I eat 80g to 130g of protein a day, I wonder if this does lower my testosterone level?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Not exactly sure how that conclusion was made... most high protein foods contain cholesterol, which is the precursor to all sex, stress and steroid hormones. Would have to read the whole passage to understand how it was said, and maybe by high protein he was implying high protein low fat low carb?

Not to mention cookie cutter statements like that are not very accurate taking into consideration how differently people react to different foods, eating patterns, ect...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

juca Guest

Brad Pilon says in "How much protein" that the ideal daily amount of protein should be in the 70g - 120g range. So, you're good.

elbohead Guest

So, what would be the optimal amount of saturated fat be? Is there a "proper" ratio of protein to saturated fat?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

I've never heard of an optimal sat fat/protein ratio, but I wouldn't worry about it like that. Consume fat and foods with saturated fat to your liking. I could say 20 grams of protein for every 5 grams of sat fat, but that would make no sense for most people.

Just don't be afraid of fat, or protein, and you'll be on the right track. I take 2 TBSP coconut oil just for pure supplementation, and Im doing just fine, so I wouldn't be worried about ratios.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

alfredoe Guest

Hi All, a low testosterone level, specifically free testosterone, indicates a high risk of many disorders, from heart disease, low sex dive, impotence, etc to depression.

Our testosterone levels drop every year and we should be aware of its level and the risks we have. We can control our estrogens level that usually increases.

For more read http://www.omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com/testosterone-deficiency.html

Best wishes,

Alfredoe