Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep frying pan and coconut oil page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

Deep frying pan and coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    I have a deep frying pan which I used to make french fries and all other sorts of deep fried crap with. I've lately been making some stuff (celeriac fries, sweet patato chips) in which the deep frying pan could come to use.

Now, it's to expensive to fill it with olive oil and only use it once and then trow it away after one use. The normal crap you can buy for it is vegetable oil. Today I made fries in a skillet with coconut oil, turned out awesome. Would it work if I filled the deep frying pan with coconut oil and if so, how often could I use the oil?

Or anything else (except for lard) I could use?

fra0039 is offline Member
    i think the cocnut oil would work but i dont believe you could use it more than once. another option would be (high quality) butter

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Do you dislike lard? It can be used several times...

I don't dislike lard, I'm just clueless as to where to get it around here and making my own would be superexpensive.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Super expensive...how? It's pretty much the cheapest part of the animal you can buy.

JHen is offline Member
    They used to make popcorn in coconut oil, that is before angry mobs with pitchforks and torches condemned it for its saturated fat.

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHen View Post
    They used to make popcorn in coconut oil, that is before angry mobs with pitchforks and torches condemned it for its saturated fat.
    Yes they did! It was in everything back in the day. I know this because in 6th grade (1980) I had to do a project for social studies class, where the teacher asked us to list 100 items made with coconut oil. I was able to find 2/3 of the list in my kitchen pantry. My 12-year-old self was amazed because none of it tasted like coconut. I remember tootsie roll pops were on the list!

Maybe I should look into making lard more. But I'd need 3 liters to fill my deep frying pan. I've looked up a recipe and some online butcher to get an estimate of the cost and a kilo of the stuff would cost me €9.90. I geuss I'd need more than 3 kilo to make 3 liters. I don't know how often you can fry stuff in this but €30,- plus seems like a lot to me :P.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure of all the conversions, but I get pork fat from a local organic pastured pig farm (i.e. the most expensive place around) for $1.29/lb. Last time I bought 3lbs and this filled 2 mason jars with lard after rendering. Why do you have to use 3 liters at a time to fry with? I fry in about 3 inches of liquid and do just fine for making chips/fries/primal doughnuts.

I got about 4 cups of lard from a pound of fat-back I got from the butcher. If a kilo is around 2.2 lbs and a liter is around 4.2 cups then 3 kilo of fatback to render would probably be enough for 6 liters. I use a slow cooker and it makes rendering really easy. Just leave it on low for a couple of hours (4-8). I didn't even add water.

If you're reusing the lard (or any oil) for frying, then be sure to get a cheesecloth or a very fine strainer. Fat keeps very well, especially frozen, but little non-fat bits will cause mold and bacteria to grow much faster. Straining is key to reusing.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast