Thread: Huge cheat meal and keto adaption? page

Viking Warrior is offline Junior Member

Huge cheat meal and keto adaption?

Primal Fuel
    Iīm really focusing all my cravings I have on 1 day the next month. I do not have as terrible cravings as on a high carb diet but I still would like to gorge myself once in a while and eat what ever I like too. The food I choose when I have my cheat meals are about 70% carbs and most of it sugar. I really need these meals to stop all the thoughts I have on eating other things than what Iīm supposed to between my cheat meals. Tomorrow I start my third week with my low carb diet and on the day I plan to have my cheat meal I have been on my low carb diet almost 5 weeks.

My question is:
    What will happen to my keto adaption if I after 5 weeks of strict low carb eating (less then 100g per day without cheat meals) have a HUGE carbmeal with about 5000-10000kcal where 70% is carbs. I will not eat this in 1 hour but maybe in one evening in front of a couple of movies. Iīm not joking, I usually eat huge cheat meals with alot of calories but this day is a special event for me and thatīs why it may be a little bigger than a usual cheat meal.
    What will happen with my keto adaption with 1 HUGE cheat meal or cheat evening? I will go back to low carb again the first thing next morning. Will I have start the whole keto adaption over from day one with low energy a few weeks again?

ogella is offline Junior Member
    For me, it takes about 2 to 3 days after a huge carb meal to return to ketosis. And it takes about 4 to 5 days for me to start losing again.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    5k-10k? What are you eating?

Viking Warrior is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogella View Post
    For me, it takes about 2 to 3 days after a huge carb meal to return to ketosis. And it takes about 4 to 5 days for me to start losing again.
    Ok, that is maybe a price I could pay. I just donīt want another 3 weeks with low energy.

Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    5k-10k? What are you eating?
    Bread, strawberry jelly, sweetened condensed milk, bananas as stuff like that, and alot of it too. A huge cake...

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    Hello

I've just done more of less the same thing. I had a friends wedding and I made a choice to go off the wagon. Que HUGE weight gain - 7lbs! and 3 days later after getting straight back onto my normal way of eating I am 2.5lbs down. I put it on over night and I know it will probably take 5-10 days to come off.

The fact I made the decision makes it all a bit easier. I love eating primal and this was total blow out - wedding cake, champagne the works.

Not something I intend to do on a regular basis.

So if your going to do it - just be prepared for the consequences. I read up a few bits and bobs so I knew this would happen. So it was an informed choice. WOn;t say it was worth it - but I did it.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogella View Post
    You're in ketosis any day your carb intake is under the body's normal glucose utilization, which is around 150g. Other hormonal effects might linger longer though. Martin Berkhan has some tips on having cheat days with a minimum of impact on your goals, do a google search for "cheat day strategies for a hedonist".