Thread: Fuel Extreme High Intensity with carbs. How? page

Viking Warrior is offline Junior Member

Fuel Extreme High Intensity with carbs. How?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, a huge question...

This is basically the reason Im trying a low carb high fat diet. I would like to have all the benefits of a high fat low carb diet but I would like to have the benefit of high intensity fuel from carbs when that is needed. Carbs are the only/best fuel for super high intensity, right?
    So...

Is it possible for me to a eat high fat and low carb diet most of the days and maybe even every day but when I want it and need it be able to eat carbs that will fuel my very high intense workouts/competitions (fighting).

Have you ever seen Fast and Furious, the car racing movie? You know the racingcars with a tube of nitro something in their cars, they drive on gasoline all the time but when they need really fast speed they push on a button to inject some of the nitro and the car can go much, much faster.
    Do you get the idea?

Basically I want to keep my body as a fat burner but want to be able to fuel my body at the right time and right amount of carbs to get as high intensity as human possible when I need and want to.

I hope I made it understandable. I need these extreme, all out, high intensity bouts when I fight in 5 x 3 minute rounds.

Can I fuel my body with extra carbs for these high intensity bouts without changing my body from burning fat as the primary fuel?

Is this possible or how close can I get?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I'll preface this with a couple of things:

1. It depends on how long you've been "low carb" for and how well you've adjusted to fat burning, rather than sugar burning.
    2. It also depends what you mean by "low carb"..

I vary from as low as 50g to 150g depending on what I've decided to eat, activity, etc. on any given day.

While I've been lazy recently, I used to crossfit several times a week and train filipino martial arts & bjj a couple of times a week, plus surf at the weekends (often for upwards of 3 hrs at a time, which is a good mix of high intensity and endurance) and I've never had problems with high intensity workouts (crossfit, filipino stick fighting bouts, bjj etc.) performed without having loaded up on carbs prior to the event.

You may want to replace the glycogen stores post workout, but I don't think most people deplete these anywhere near as much as they think and could probably do this with a couple of bananas, 500g of sweet potato, etc.

Also, have a look at this recent Friday success story

Just my humble opinion of course, I'm sure others will give you a different perspective

At the end of the day though, only you can judge what your body needs. So give it a go for a few weeks and see how you feel.

Viking Warrior is offline Junior Member
    Ok, as soon as Im finished with my weightloss I will try to replace my glycogen stores after my workouts and see how my intensity is and maybe eat a few carbs before my high intensity workouts and see what happens.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Some people swear by just using fat as an energy source for high intensity workouts or even working out after a fast on an empty stomach, but I'm with you on this one. I can't have a good work out unless I have some carbs. Don't worry about it too much, have a sweet potato before a workout or a fight and see how you do.
    also, listen to this The Paleo Solution – Episode 100

starting at 20:30 where they start talking about potatoes and working out

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    Some people swear by just using fat as an energy source for high intensity workouts or even working out after a fast on an empty stomach, but I'm with you on this one. I can't have a good work out unless I have some carbs. Don't worry about it too much, have a sweet potato before a workout or a fight and see how you do.
    also, listen to this The Paleo Solution – Episode 100

starting at 20:30 where they start talking about potatoes and working out
    But what you also have to remember, is that (if this is the ep. where Robb and Greg are talking about how it didn't work for them to train while on low carb), is does your 'high intensity' compare to theirs? Does your body fat compare to theirs? And how 'low carb' are you and they talking about?

Not saying not to take on board what's said in the podcast, as obviously they are both far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.
    It's just that the term "Low carb" is slung around so much without it actually being quantified. Are you talking <50g of carbs / day, <100g, etc.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    But what you also have to remember, is that (if this is the ep. where Robb and Greg are talking about how it didn't work for them to train while on low carb), is does your 'high intensity' compare to theirs? Does your body fat compare to theirs? And how 'low carb' are you and they talking about?

Not saying not to take on board what's said in the podcast, as obviously they are both far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.
    It's just that the term "Low carb" is slung around so much without it actually being quantified. Are you talking <50g of carbs / day, <100g, etc.

I think the football dude said that her was <50g of carb for 6 moths and was really miserable (workouts suffered, recovery suffered, he was groggy, not in a good mood, etc). Then he said he started eating a ton of paleo friendly carbs (roots veg, sweet potato, reg. potato), but did not specify how much exactly. He mentioned that he only counts protein now. But I do agree that he is probably working out more than anyone on this board.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I do about 50g or less a day of carbs but on strength days I eat an apple or have tall glass of veg juice 30 min before my workout... It gives me what I need to hit a squat rack hard.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I find 2 apples 3 hours before high intensity exercise really amps up my capabilities.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

zwlt917 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, as soon as Im finished with my weightloss I will try to replace my glycogen stores after my workouts and see how my intensity is and maybe eat a few carbs before my high intensity workouts and see what happens.