Thread: how much acidophilus do you take? page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

how much acidophilus do you take?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am trying to work out my dysbiosis and just started taking a broad spectrum probiotic. It makes me bloat horribly. I read that it does that to some people so I switched to primadophilus which has only 4 strains. I can't do a lot of dairy so can't rely on yogurt. It has 5 billion CFUs per 1 pill. How much is good to start off with when trying to correct dysbiosis? Can I do 15 billion CFUs per day? Is a higher dose needed at first? How much should I take?

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Go read Gutsense.org. He has a lot of info on gut dysbiosis and sells his own formulas (I haven't tried any), that include a recovery formula. Have you had any Kefir? You may need to start more slowly and take a little Kefir mixed with water (I like sparkling mineral water), and do that in the mornings before eating for a couple of weeks before starting on acidophilus pills. Good luck with this and please update us. I think lots of people have digestive issues from eating a lifetime of SAD. How long have you been primal?
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Hillside Gina. I have visited that website before. I've been primal for over 6 months now. I started the L-glutamine at the same time and that helped heal my gut alot so I wanted to get into the probiotics next. I already drink kombucha and eat sauerkraut and do ok with those, just couldn't take the broad spectrum one. I'm avoiding dairy stuff like yogurt and kefir. I'm doing ok on the acidophilus pills so far, just wondering how much to start with to really overcome the bad bacteria. I was hoping someone here had gotten info from a naturopath or something already and could share what they started at successfully.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I am working on healing a leaky gut, and my naturopath told me to take 2 capsules daily, orning and night on an empty stomach.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    I try to use a variety -- getting different strains of acidophilus/bifidus in different pills. Right now I'm using Pearls -- quite small and can be kept at room temp. Keep working on a good variety of strains from whatever sources (definitely including things like sauerkraut and other natural sources.) I basically go with throw a bunch of good bacteria against the wall and hope that I will cultivate a great gut garden again.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Hard to answer this specifically because it is an area that is not standardized, and some brand's formulas may be more potent/effective than others. Ask someone knowledgeable at your local health food store - ask which are more popular - that people take regularly.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!