Thread: optimal diet page

chris collins is offline Junior Member

optimal diet

Shop Now
    Hello - First let me say I'm not a "troll". I'm just looking for the optimal diet - period.
    A diet that will afford me the best chance to avoid getting sick. I'm looking for a diet that will add "life to my years" more than years to my life. I've known about
    Mark Sisson for years and have introduced family and friends to his Damage Control Master Formula. I don't eat grains, sugar, dairy, etc. So I guess I'm part primal already. I love roast beef and lamb chops and would love to believe eating meat would allow me to reach my own maximum health potential.

You can find nutrition experts, authors, scientists and medical professionals who can make very persuasive arguments for either a vegan diet or one that includes liberal amounts of animal protein.

The thing that prevents me from believing that a lamb chop or steak is going to enhance my health and not make me sick in the long run is anatomy. My Rotweilers and cat definitley have the equipment to handle a lot of meat.
    I'm not convinced that we humans do.

I know that Mark is in great shape. He may just have been blessed with great genetics.

I found this chart that kind of sums up my concerns.
    I was curious if any of you could shed some light on this. I'm looking for a diet where I can thrive not just survive.

Thanks
    chris

The Comparative Anatomy of Eating by Milton R. Mills, M.D.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    have you read "the primal blueprint" yet? you should.

i have my doubts about what it says beneath the chart about the evolutionary diet. sure, humans likely ate more plants than anything else, but there are plenty of cultures that survive on mostly meat...those that live in cold/frozen climates or were nomadic through those areas. regardless, a lot of us primal/paleo folk definitely love our meat, but the basis of these diets is really vegetables, some meat, and good sources of fat...like the kind that would salvaged from a good hunt.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, Chris. It's good to keep an open mind, but I'm not convinced by the comparison chart. Seems kinda like pseudo-science to me. Look at a gorillas mouth. Looks like a straight-up carnivore. Yet they're almost exclusively herbivorous.

Also, the stomach capacities listed in the chart are misleading at best. Ruminants (the most herbivorous of animals) have four stomachs which dwarf the capacity of their intestines. Check out the sheep: http://www.sheep101.info/cud.html
    Last edited by yodiewan; 10-24-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Apemanwild is offline Junior Member
    Typical vegetarian argument. Most attributes on that list can be explained by use of tools and adaptation or loss of physiologic traits after the adoption of cooking in the human diet which happened 400,000 years ago for example: smaller teeth, lack of canines/claws, jaw orientation.
    (When did Humans Begin to Cook?)

Human small intestine 10 to 11 times body length? Dont think so.
    Length of a Human Intestine

Human stomach acid pH of 5? Wrong again...
    Gastric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Apemanwild; 10-24-2011 at 07:24 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would argue that the primal diet is not "a lot" of meat. The primary focus is fresh, organic produce above all. It may be more meat than you are used to, but I would not say it's a lot to have protein with every meal.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris collins View Post
    I'm looking for a diet where I can thrive not just survive.
    Why don't you just jump in and try it? It's fear that prevents most folks from doing things differently. You can read and read and find info and argue and hem and haw and talk yourself out of doing anything. You need to go for it, and stop the voice in your head saying you can't, you can't, you can't.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!