Thread: 3x5 VS 5x5 page

pace2race is offline Senior Member

3x5 VS 5x5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I currently do 3x5 and the weights I'm lifting are all I can handle. To do 5x5 I would have to lighten the load. My goal with lifting heavy with full squats and deadlifts, is to gain speed for running and be able to run up hill faster during races.

I do two days per week full squats, military presses, calf raises, dead lifts, bent over rows, and lunges all 3x5.

On alternating days I do 5x5 dumbbell presses, alternating DB presses, incline press, negative overhead press, seated rear delt raises, side delt raises and front delt raises.

3 days per week I do 3x12 pullups and 3x12 chinups.

2 days per week I do 3x15 dips amd 3x20 kettlebell pushups.

Question is would I be better gaining the strength needed for faster sprinting and racing decreasing the weights for the full squats etc to an amount that I could lift 5x5?

I sprint 2x per week.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the strength you need for sprinting up a hill will come from sprinting up hills. you may also try to add in some plyometric work to get the explosiveness and speed you are looking for.
    in terms of weights, they're really won't be a huge difference between 3x5 and 5x5. the point is to stress your muscles to break them down and rebuild harder and stronger. you may want to think about adding a little more for your hamstrings...maybe in place of all that upper body work. you definitely seem to be doing a lot of lifting along with 2 days of sprinting; how's your recovery/energy/etc.?

I'm tired when I get home but feel ready to run by morning. I had a problem earlier this year with a jacked up shoulder but it's getting better. I had been doing upright rows instead of delt rasies with dumbbells and the rasies seem to work the smaller muscles without killing them like the rows did.
    On days I don't sprint I just run easy for an hour.

What lifts would you recommend to help the hamstrings?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    That's a lot of volume for a strength routine. What do you weigh, and how much do you squat, bench, press, and dead?

Squats, box jumps, glute-ham raises are the big ones to work the hamstrings, plus of course your sport-specific training (in this case sprints).

I'm 5'9" and 161 lbs. Full Squat 3x5 is 175lbs. Dead lift 3x5 is 235lbs. Squats and Deadlifts at those weights are very hard for me to complete the sets. Dumbell press 5x5 is with 60lb DB's. Incline Bench 5x5 is 110lbs.

I'll check out glute-ham rasies and box jumps. For sprints I do a 2-mile warm up, 12x200m sprints with a jog back after each followed by a 2-mile cool down.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    I'm 5'9" and 161 lbs. Full Squat 3x5 is 175lbs. Dead lift 3x5 is 235lbs. Squats and Deadlifts at those weights are very hard for me to complete the sets. Dumbell press 5x5 is with 60lb DB's. Incline Bench 5x5 is 110lbs.

I'll check out glute-ham rasies and box jumps. For sprints I do a 2-mile warm up, 12x200m sprints with a jog back after each followed by a 2-mile cool down.

Try to back off the volume a bit on the deadlift. It's a very taxing exercise on the entire body. One work set of 5 reps is more than enough at the end of any workout. Warmup as needed to not wear yourself out.
    Last edited by CE402; 10-25-2011 at 08:56 AM.