Thread: Paleo After Open Surgery page

Spubba is offline Senior Member

Paleo After Open Surgery

Primal Fuel
    I won't go into the details, but I had to have emergency surgery on Friday morning (October 21) following a long illness since about August. Actually it was 2 procedures to remove some abscesses and chronic infection. They tried to do everything laparoscopic and couldn't get it all through the scope so they decided to go ahead and cut me open and get the rest of it out. I have an 8 inch incision in my abdomen plus the holes in my belly from the laparoscope. The doctor has told me to not do ANYTHING for 2 weeks (no stair climbing, lifting more than 5 pounds) although I can walk "as tolerated".

I had lost 50 pounds and gotten a lot of my "numbers" under control with the Paleo lifestyle. I was totally stoked about finding a diet that WORKED and wanted to keep the momentum. Now, my fear is that I will "backslide" due to the illness I had before, the drugs I've been on, and the long recovery I'm facing. I'm hoping last week's surgery will end this health problem for good so I won't have to worry about it anymore.

If anyone has any advice for someone who had major surgery and wants to recover and get back into the Paleo lifestyle, I'd love to hear it!

Paleobird Guest
    My tummy scar cringes in sympathy. Ouch.
    First of all, focus on recovery first and not the numbers for a while. Priorities.
    Second, there is no reason to not eat Primally while recovering. Bone broth based soups are the best healing elixirs ever invented.

Feel better soon,
    Robin

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    For inspiration, read Mark's Blog from 16 Sep 2011 The Unconquerable Dave: Still Unconquerable. I think you will like what you read.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My tummy scar cringes in sympathy. Ouch.
    First of all, focus on recovery first and not the numbers for a while. Priorities.
    Second, there is no reason to not eat Primally while recovering. Bone broth based soups are the best healing elixirs ever invented.

Feel better soon,
    Robin
    +1. I have recovered from two major abdominal surgeries. My primary advice is to accept that it WILL set you back and don't get upset about it. Take it easy and let your body heal. I returned to work a week after a major hernia and diastasis repair. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since I have a desk job. WRONG. If you push too hard too soon, you will find yourself in even worse shape.

Bone broth is an excellent suggestion. Are you taking a good, strong probiotic?

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    After two weeks, start walking EVERY DAY. I have a breastbone to pubic bone scar from having a kidney removed back before they learned to do it with a small incision. Walking was THE BEST thing I did.

The Paleo lifestyle is excellent for healing.

YOU CAN DO IT!