Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success story of a Viking - 26 pounds in a month page

gudmundurh is offline Junior Member

Success story of a Viking - 26 pounds in a month

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks

I'm a month into my Paleo/Primal journey and I am loving it. A coworker pointed this site (and Robb) out to me at lunch and I immediately went Primal (somehow I felt this was my style - I've never gone on any diet schemes and didn't consider this one). If only I had known just how powerful this is I would have taken before photo and gotten proper blood work at the start.

Tomorrow I get my blood work results (after 4 weeks of Primal) - rather exciting to see what the results are. My cardiologist seemed impressed with my progress and signed off on much larger blood work than normally done.

I'm 40 and 5.10 and rather strongly built (slim and fit at about 195 pounds). Late 2010 I had extreme blood pressure episode and have been on drugs since - which I announced to the doctor immediately I would get off in 1-2 years (that rarely happens here, it's usually "for life"). He ordered me to stay away from the gym which excluded my normal "Chronic Cardio" and strength program as the solution.

I had gone up to 259 pounds on 21 Sep 2011.

4 weeks in I had lost 26 pounds which is amazing!

My girlfriend is rather impressed but feels I am not working too hard for this (endless beef, bernaise, bacon, eggs, occasional red wine does not feel like dieting to her ) but I did cut out huge aspects of my diet (love pasta and bread - was never into super sugary foods though).

But the funny thing is that, being raised in the 70's in northern Iceland my family's diet was not that far from Primal. Lots of fish and fish oil (haddock and trout, plus endless dried fish (84% protein) with butter), free-range lamb meat and little corn and processed foods (too much potatoes though). We poured animal lard over our boiled fish as sauce! Then we got more and more corn and crap, plus lots more bread (wheat belly anyone?).

I'm loving this - does not feel like a sacrifice at all Not just the food but the lifestyle, I'm sleeping more and trying to play more as well - useful with my 2 year old son

Sorry for the lengthy rant.

Gudmundur

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    great job, keep it up!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

jay_fm is offline Member
    Awesome! Isn't it great to go on a "diet" where you actually love the food and feel satisfied after a meal?!
    Pre-Primal SW: 161
    CW- 150
    Goal 120ish

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Hi! I'm Norwegian, always wanted to visit Iceland!

Oh, yes, it's wonderful to finally see something I know I can stick to forever

I've pretty much not cheated at all (had to eat a chocolate once at the golf course when I was severely depleted and would not have made the final 5km walk), no sodas, no bread or corn at all. I actually feel a bit annoyed that I did not learn this 20 years ago (the US food pyramid is very much promoted here). Actually I did sort of know; my very, very strong and fit uncle used to snicker "Chicken feed!" when I was eating corn as a kid - I should have listened

My main "problem" is the gym, feel a bit weird doing this slow pace cardio but it apparently works Walked to work today (we don't walk much as commute in Iceland) which should give me 2-3 hours a week of moderate cardio which is cool.

Glamorama: yeah, you should drop in for a visit one day. We could have some bacon or lamb (Inspired by Iceland is suggesting locals to invite tourists to enjoy something local) . After a few years you'd have the place to yourself since apparently all the Icelanders will be working in Norway then heh.

Gudmundur

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, and congrats! Also, we need some more pictures of shirtless vikings around here. Just saying.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gudmundurh View Post
    Oh, yes, it's wonderful to finally see something I know I can stick to forever

I've pretty much not cheated at all (had to eat a chocolate once at the golf course when I was severely depleted and would not have made the final 5km walk), no sodas, no bread or corn at all. I actually feel a bit annoyed that I did not learn this 20 years ago (the US food pyramid is very much promoted here). Actually I did sort of know; my very, very strong and fit uncle used to snicker "Chicken feed!" when I was eating corn as a kid - I should have listened

My main "problem" is the gym, feel a bit weird doing this slow pace cardio but it apparently works Walked to work today (we don't walk much as commute in Iceland) which should give me 2-3 hours a week of moderate cardio which is cool.

Glamorama: yeah, you should drop in for a visit one day. We could have some bacon or lamb (Inspired by Iceland is suggesting locals to invite tourists to enjoy something local) . After a few years you'd have the place to yourself since apparently all the Icelanders will be working in Norway then heh.

Gudmundur
    I still fondly think back to all the ętte sagaer we had to read in high school. I thought shark was a local treat? Lol

Carlos2sun is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations!

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on all the progress. That is fantastic.

Just be aware that your blood work may be a bit premature. If you are losing weight, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Consider this: What is this wacky thing called “weight loss”? | The Heart Scan Blog

heh, shark is indeed a local treat. I don't really eat it but my father loves it - he once forgot a large piece in my car on a sunny day. I thought I was going to have to burn the car to get rid of the smell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast