Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleolithic nutrition as a "Fad Diet"? page

saturnfan is offline Senior Member

Paleolithic nutrition as a "Fad Diet"?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but I have been on the diet for two months now (lost 17lbs!) and naturally I have been wanting to talk about it and see what others think about the overall Paleolithic concept. A criticism I keep encountering is that most people I talk to think it is a "fad diet", like drinking celery juice for six weeks.

But in my opinion, Paleolithic nutrition is such a complicated subject reliant on many interdisciplinary research models, like nutrition, biology, anthropology, evolution, gene theory, exercise research, and even a little bit of history and sociology!

I certainly don't believe we are at the pinnacle of Paleolithic understanding, but the amount of work that goes into this field of study seems to complex to just be a "fad". Thoughts?

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    By "fad diet", people usually the "cool new thing", and it pretty much is. Paleo diet and lifestyle is more or less a recent trend in the mainstream. But the people who equate "fad diet" with "bad diet" usually don't have an open enough mind to actually look at the science behind them. Most "fad diets" are pretty dumb (grapefruit and coffee diet, anyone?), but paleo is pretty well rooted in science. And not because it "works", but because many proponents will agree that paleo is more or less the most effective way of eating in the long run. If you eat just meat and plants and spend more time outside, no need for discipline. Just react to your cravings (which are dependent on the season and your activity level), and you should be fine.

My point? Fad diet or not, it's what is best for us. It is not a means to an end, but a way of life.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It IS a fad diet in the sense of "the latest fad" - it's not a fad diet in the sense of "short term focus, incomplete nutrition" - I'm becoming fond of this newer term "ancestral health movement" because it's more inclusive, less dogmatic, and sounds more science-based.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    I don't mind it being the cool new thing. That's just proves that those of us who embraced it before it was cool are way cool.

The only way to prove to skeptics that your plan is not a fad is for it to stand the test of time and become mainstream. But then we will have to share the coolness. Darn.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think the horseless carriage and the internet were probably considered fads at the time, so I'm not worried.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about this too, in 10 years am I gonna say "What the hell was I thinking taking all that vitamin D and eating all that red meat?"

But I really don't think that will be the case cuz this way of eating actually makes sense
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    It gets called a fad diet because the premise sounds gimmicky upon first hearing it. That's exactly what I thought when first hearing about it from that "eat like a caveman" guy that was on Colbert last year. And the bigger the claims made about it, the more skeptical people will be. So if you say your diet is the cure to the various "diseases of civilization," people are less likely to take you seriously.

Fortunately, the people who really do care about finding the truth will come around eventually. Adoption probably isn't as fast as it could be simply because there is so much working against the paleo movement currently. "Conventional wisdom" and corporate interests are two seemingly unshakable pillars (and they're pretty closely related, to boot).

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    I've told quite a few people about my diet, and almost invariably I'm met with a heaping of excited interest coupled with a quizzical stare and the question, "But isn't this paleo thing just another diet fad?"

My answer to that is, "yes."* Yes, the paleo diet is just another fad like living is just another fad.* Sarcasm aside, eating a diet approximately like our healthiest ancestors seems like a better option if I want to experience better health.* And since I don't have to deal with a great many of the difficulties that my ancient ancestors did (food scarcities, tribal wars, and other such things), I can relax into ancestral eating habits with a little more ease, and a little more attention to detail.* If the benefits of a super-healthy diet and a well-toned body seem like a fad to people, if living longer and stronger comes across as a fad, I'm happy to accept the label and be part of the 'fad'.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    It's all just woo.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I would also add, not a single person who has known me over the last two years as I've "gone caveman" ever gives me ANY grief about it. They see that it worked for me. They have either tried it themselves, to various degrees of adherence, or they just kinda respect it. I didn't really talk about it much till my results were real visible, which helped a lot. New people I meet, who never met the old me, I say very little about it and usually avoid the "paleo" tag.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast