Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on so many variations of paleo page

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member

Confused on so many variations of paleo

Primal Fuel
    From what I've gathered this diet is supposed to be mimicking the "grok's" diet as closely as possible (whatever hunters and gatherer's ate). As I frequent several paleo/primal resources on the Internet I get a bit confused. There are people out there following this diet who do the following on the daily basis: drink coconut cream by the can fulls, melt sticks of butters into their food, consume insane amount of bacon every day, eat/drink coconut and olive oil by several table spoons per day (or shots). I just don't understand how such eating habits are primal in any way. Back in the day, a grok might have come across a coconut tree, pick a coconut, drink the water, eat the flash and call it a day. I just don't see how our ancestors had accessed to all this fat that people seem to be shoving down their throats in obscene amounts. I do not have fat phobia as a I realized that saturated fat does not cause hart disease, but I'm still a bit confused as to what is the right way to eat as there are just so many different primal/paleo variations that I read about. Some people don't even eat vegetables and this diet and argue that they are complete unnecessary.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Primal isn't necessarily about eating exactly what "Grok" ate. It is about eating in a way that agrees with out genetics and evolution. We can eat a modern diet that stays true to our design to burn fat for fuel. I think this blog post from Mark might be helpful for you: When Science Trumps Grok | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, please note that what you can find some whackadoodle stuff on the forums, so you don't want to be getting your definitions here.
    Last edited by Yvonne PHX; 10-24-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    This diet is whatever you want it to be. I've seen many people on these forum with different interpretations.
    Do you want to eat EXACTLY how cavemen ate? Fire roast some venison and gather some berries.
    Do you want to supply your body with fuel we have evolved to utilise efficiently? Chug a can of coconut cream.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Different people are going to react to certain foods differently, and we have different needs too, so it's definitely not "one size fits all". You may need more carbs and I need more fat. You have to go with what is good for you.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    Well, first of all anybody can post any nonsense they want in a forum. Read the PB and follow Mark's advice. That is the real deal.

Second, anybody who thinks they don't need to eat veggies is is kidding themselves.

Third, yes the fat consumption is over the top in many people around here and I think it is the reason behind a lot of failures to lose weight, I know it was with mine. I dialed back the fat and the weight came right off.

We are not cavemen and, short of some global catastrophe, never will be. We can enjoy the fact that we don't have to climb up a tree and smash open a coconut. We just open a can. We have to match that intake of food however with some expenditure of energy to be really Grokian. One guy recently said he had cured his problem of overeating on nuts by buying them in the shell and extracting the good stuff with a rock. Less eating and more exercise.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    It isn't what caveman ate or didn't eat - it's eating what is biologically appropriate and optimal for humans to eat.

Read the Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" and also Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" - also watch "Fathead: the Movie".
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    A lot of good answers here.

My diet might be different than other's here, but it works for me and my situation. I'd recommend starting with the book(for say 6+ months) and then experimenting to find out what works for you. I'm one of those who pounds lots of fat(and carbs for that matter), *but* I'm not that old, am active most of the day every day, am healthy and aggressively(by primal standards) lift weights. Just avoiding gluten, excessive O6, excessive fructose, soy and nuts works *for me*. It took me a while to find that out. *For me* adding back in starches was huge- allowing me to drop the last bits of body fat I didn't want, giving me energy and improving my mood. Would doing the same work for you? No clue.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Wherever you live, eat what would be available without big business agriculture. Then decide what you personally want to add(supplement) to maximize health.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just do what Mark recommends for a while, see how it works for you, then adjust as needed. Ignore what others do, or claim to do (a good general rule for life, too, in case you're a wee youngster).
    As for coconut, well, we didn't evolve eating ANY coconut, but it does seem like really healthy food. Some Polynesian cultures eat a ton of the stuff all the time.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    The right way to eat is the one that results in vibrant health for YOU!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast