Thread: Carbs and distance running page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Carbs and distance running

Distance runners: I need to eat at about mile 5 then every 3 or so after on my long runs. Any suggestions on what I should be eating? I am used to shot blocks, and gels.

Also, do you "carb up" the night before?

Finally- what do you find you need your carb intake to be on a daily basis to train well?

iFreedom is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to primal but not long distance efforts, running bike, and swim. I don't think you need to carb up the night before unless if your doing a race and plan on going hard.

boil baby potatoes through in zip lock in jacket pocket and pop when you're getting hungry, i've done this and works well, but kind of a pain to prep. Hammer products are decent but lots of people have gotten by with gateriod on the run.

Daily carbs to train well? Sorry can't help much here, but generally, diet is the toughest component of any long distance training, but the web has loads of guidelines. Read enough and you'll start finding the common points.

Hope this (kindof) helps!

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Aimlow, as I understand it, your long runs should be done at a fairly slow pace, with a ballpark figure being 45 seconds to a minute and a half per mile slower than marathon pace. It's hard for me to imagine you would need to eat that often when running that slowly (but we are all different). I am a 51-year-old woman, not fast, just mid-pack, have done a half dozen marathons ranging from just under 4 hours to 4:20:00, and am coming off a 5-month layoff w/little to no running due to a back problem. I have been edging towards primal/paleo for 8-9 months now, eating less conventionally and more according to primal guidelines. The furthest I have been out recently is 14 miles, and in fact I did a 14-miler this AM. I finished dinner at 5:30-ish last night, did not eat this AM (couple of cups of decaf w/cream) and started the run about 5:30 this AM. It took me 2:23:45, about a 10:15 pace, which is right in the middle of my long-run pace range. I ate nothing during the run and in fact wasn't hungry until nearly 10 AM. This is a major change from pre-primal, when I would have had at least a banana beforehand and likely 1-2 gels during the run and been ravenous afterwards. I'm eager to get out farther yet, as I used to be unable to go more than 16 miles w/o a major meltdown if I didn't do gels.

Now, this is only my personal experience, so of course YMMV, and again, I am only talking about long runs, which are to be done sloooowly and thus your body should probably be able to burn fat to provide that type of energy. I can't offer any thoughts about speedwork or racing, as those are a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to fueling. Hope you find some helpful info!
    Last edited by honeypig; 10-27-2011 at 12:42 PM.

zwlt917 is offline Junior Member
    Hope this (kindof) helps!

runningout is offline Junior Member
    Hi there,
    I'm in line with Honeypig (also with similar Marathon times..).
    One can do LSD's (Long Slow Distance) without any carbs before or during, but one needs to build that capasity (fat burn) up, over period of time.
    The conditions are, slow pace (low heart rate, under your aerobic threshold, e.g. Max -50 beats) and regular runs without fresh sugar in you blood stream .e.g easy runs before breakfast 10, 15, 20, 25 mins...2 hrs.

Regards

lydialipingL is offline Junior Member
    Finally- what do you find you need your carb intake to be on a daily basis to train well? amber's bridal
    wedding dresses 2012

quemans is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been edging towards primal/paleo for 8-9 months now, eating less conventionally and more according to primal guidelines.