Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Winter Shoe Help page

PrimalBaker is offline Member

Need Winter Shoe Help

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I need help with winter running shoes. I currently wear (and LOVE!) the Merrell Pure Gloves. But it's getting colder outside and I can't deal with cold feet. I HATE being cold but I want to not run on the treadmill all the time. Plus I am training(ish) for a half marathon that is scheduled in January. Any suggestions for shoes to run in during the colder weather? I prefer Merrells, but am open to other similar type shoes suitable for the cold. I won't be running outside during snow or ice, but I do need some road time on the nicer days. I am in NJ so you have an idea of the climate I am facing. I can't wait to move somewhere warm again.

blueballoon is offline Member
    How about getting some really good sock liners and wool socks? I get freakishly cold feet in the winter because of Raynaud's, and wool socks + liners are the only things that will help. I've been wearing VFFs this summer, but just picked up a pair of NB minimus shoes for colder weather so I can wear socks. Best of luck.
    My blog (primal after 8/5/11).

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueballoon View Post
    How about getting some really good sock liners and wool socks?
    Absolutely this. If you have decent socks, once you get moving, your body heat will keep everything toasty warm. I wouldn't recommend extended cool-down walks or the like, but you may be surprised at how warm your feet will stay even in truly frigid temps if you're running.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Smart wool is great. You can also keep running even with ice and snow. Just make some screw shoes.
    The Screw Shoe: The best way to run on packed snow and ice!

Thanks! I will first try a new style at the store, then if I am not happy with that I will buy a bigger pair of the Pure Gloves and the socks. I just need to live in a year round warm climate.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalBaker View Post
    I just need to live in a year round warm climate.
    An early morning run in fresh snow (or even better, falling snow!) w/the world quiet, the stars and moon overhead and maybe the sound of an owl in the distance has a beauty all its own. A nice hot shower and a steaming cup of tea or coffee afterwards will warm you up inside and out when you're done! (I live in Wisconsin.)
    Last edited by honeypig; 10-27-2011 at 11:40 AM.

zwlt917 is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't recommend extended cool-down walks or the like

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    There have been some other threads on this so you may want to search for this. Also, there is a lot of internet discussion of this on other boards and blogs. Suggestions seem to run the gamut from newer VFF made with leather, to moccasins (specifically Arrow Moccasin and Russel Moccasin companies), to Steger Mukluks, to newer Terra Plana Vivos to some Finnish company that makes a light boot--the later few options are better for out door activites where you are not running but still want a minimalist feel.

I am not a runner so I cannot say for sure, but I would tend to suggest excellent wool socks. When I bike in cold weather in Addidas trainers I use a thinner merino wool liner sock and a heavier outer wool sock and my feet stay reasonably warm into the upper 30s.

I have the style of Merril gloves that are leather (think they are called True Glove) and they are not particularly warm so I would not use those. Thought I read that the New Balance line of Minimus shoes was going to come up with an insulated version.

Honeypig, while the image seems nice, I am not a winter loving person. When the temps dip below 65* I am not a happy Kris. I am happier being out in Florida in August with the heat and humidity (and running in it) than the "perfect" running conditions of 50*. In all honesty, I am thinking of sticking with the treadmill for training, even though I know it's not even close to ideal for half marathon training. I will open the blinds, let the sun in, plug in some good music and run to nowhere for a while. Better warm and happy than freezing and using language my kids shouldn't be hearing. Hopefully soon we'll find out that we are being stationed in Hawaii, or Tampa, or somewhere warmer than NJ in the winter.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member

oregon chimes in

i'm a former "elite" runner (think a much slower version of Mark in terms of training etc.) who moved to Oregon from the Southeast-- so winter here is actually cold (<40 F in the mornings, and I have to run at 5:30 am bc of work) and WET WET WET.
    I've found the keys for me are:

wool socks, the "expensive kind" like you get at REI that dry out and are thin and warm
    Yak-Trax- when the road is frozen-slick they allow you to "stick" to the road and even do workouts if you need
    a head-lamp if you run at nighttime (it's psychological, but having the light makes me "feel" warmer)- so also less worrying about your shoe tread/traction
    "workouts"-- a long slow run will not keep you or your feet warm-- minimize the w/u and c/d and keep your intervals hard and fast, even doing daily tempo runs and cutting the mileage way down for winter will help. I've found that intensity and duration tend to balance one another out in terms of weight management-- I think of winter as the sprinting season and summer as the distance season.

I run in Nike Free. Have for years, don't plan on changing. I would say of all the parts of me that are cold in the winter, I wouldn't rank feet in the top 5.
    Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast