Thread: bad reaction to grains after 6 weeks without. does this prove i have ibs? page

bogusjourney is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I went primal back in November and have been feeling great. Soy free, dairy free (I'm lactose intolerant), sugar free, grain free, etc. Eating tons of veggies and meats, nuts, and about a piece of fruit a day. Well, today I went on a little detour and had 1. oat bran for breakfast (I guess I thought it would help with constipation, which is constant -- what's up with that?) and 2. brown rice (a quarter cup) with dinner. Sorry to gross anyone out but while the oat bran was OK the brown rice dinner went STRAIGHT THROUGH if you know what I mean. Is that proof that I can't tolerate grains, or is it just a reaction to eating something I haven't eaten in a while? Thanks for any opinions/advice.

or that I have an ibs-like reaction to grains? sorry that got a little mixed up between title and post

Dr. Rob DAquila Guest

Going 6 weeks without a particular food should be enough time to re-introduce it and see what reaction you get. Rice is one of the LEAST allergenic/sensitive foods, but if you got a reaction that says something. It's possible that you need to "repair" your GI tract as well (e.g.: from leaky gut). Often when people repair their gut, they can go back to eating foods they are sensitive to, as it wasn't the food, it was the digestive tract causing the immune system to up-regulate.

Constipation - usually not enough water, fiber, or exercise; hypothyroid; and/or "closed" or "spastic" ileocecal valve.

FairyRae2 Guest

I think there is lots of helpful info on gut healing here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1096747 Perhaps probiotic foods might help w/ the constipation and gut issues as well?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Too little fiber=constipation is remnant of CW which needs to be tossed in the bin.

soror is offline Senior Member

totally agree about the fiber- up the fat!!!

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Wow thanks for the link FairyRae2 -- there's a lot to read there! I'll get on it.

Dr. Rob: I wonder about the issue of not enough exercise, or rather just movement generally. I work out 5-6 days a week at a gym, doing alternating days of walk/run intervals on a treadmill and strength work with a trainer or kickboxing lessons. HOWEVER as I am a doctoral student working on a dissertation most of the rest of my day is spent sitting down at the computer doing research or writing. It's just not necessary or time-efficient for me to get up and walk around while I could be working. I wonder if this imbalance could be contributing to my bowel issues, despite the fact that I do exercise and am in good shape?

I will investigate the leaky gut issue -- I have encountered it before when working with Sean at Underground Wellness, and he did say this was an issue for me, but I took some gut support supplements and stuck to the metabolic typing diet I was following then (not that different from now, but I ate more dairy and occasional grains), and figured that might have helped or resolved it. Maybe I need to get retested -- is that the mucusal barrier we are talking about when we say "leaky gut"?

ps thanks!