Thread: Menu check please? page

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting--I've been doing PB for about two weeks and wondering if you could check out my menu? I've been doing Crossfit since March, that's where I heard about Paleo/PB.

B: green monster made with spinach, almond or hemp milk, banana

S: apple and almonds

L: turkey burger, veggie soup

S: raw veggies, sunflower or pumpkin seeds

D: salmon & roast asparagus (with olive oil)

That's what I'm eating today & a very typical menu. Thanks for any tips!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Welcome Megg

My first questions before my critique is how sated you feel eating this way? What are your portion sizes?

The basis for my question: I see very little fat on your menu. Personally, I might add some more. Add some hard boiled eggs to the snack menu. Dip your raw veggies in a homemade vinegarette or salad dressing. Encrust your salmon with a nutty pesto (mmmmm). Those are just suggestions off the top of my head.

Do you make your own veggie soup? You should post a recipe is so!

Thanks Anna! The lack of fat is exactly what I was concerned about. I've lost 40lbs since October 2007 doing Weight Watcher's Core plan which focuses on lean meats, non-fat dairy, whole grains, fruits & veggies. So I guess it's hard getting out of the low-fat mindset.

I did make my own soup, today it's curried purple potato zucchini spinach soup! Basically a bunch of veggies that were about to go bad made into a soup. I'm not sure about the purple potato, but I figure it's not SO bad because there is more nutrition in a purple potato than a white potato. And there's only one potato in the whole pot of soup (20+ servings?) I made this before I started PB and have it frozen in individual containers.

Anyway--I'm going to start eating more animal fat, on the weekends I do eat turkey bacon at breakfast. Maybe I'll make a roast chicken sometime this week or use some of the turkey bacon with my asparagus or brussel sprouts. On Crossfit days I usually do have a fried egg (in olive oil) along with my Green Monster shake.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Cut out the Turkey Bacon (the junk in there is right up there with High Fructose Corn Syrup and Hydrogenated Oils). Try good ol' fashioned 'FATTY' bacon (save the grease for using in other cooking!!!). You can also try Ghee, Lard, Organic (raw) butter (I know, goes against EVERYTHING Weight-Watchers was telling you).

The more you up your fats, lower your dairy & carbs consumption, the faster that fat will melt away!

Try to keep the Olive Oil to lower-heat items and/ or only raw applications (in salads, etc).

Try using Organic Virgin Coconut Oil instead (I just bought Walnut Oil this weekend for baking and Med - High heat use).

Heck, I even saved my bacon grease and then later that day, used it to sautee my chicken and veggies! Yummmmy!

I didn't realize the turkey bacon had junk in it, but I guess it makes total sense!

Since cutting out dairy (about a month now), my sinuses have been much better and I don't miss it at all.

Okay thank you Sassafrass--I'll put regular pig bacon on my grocery list! I guess I should look over Mark's posts about primal fats. Thanks again!

Haven't been to the store yet (sucks being paid once a month!) so I haven't gotten any fatty meats, but I've been using my husband's butter. It's European style & tastes much different than regular butter (I'll get organic next time). Thought I'd post another day for the helluvit and I started tracking on Fitday

Crossfit

B: 2 egg omelet with mushrooms (about 1 T butter) green monster shake (almond milk, banana, 6 strawberries, 2 cups spinach)

S: Mark's Primal Energy Bars (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-...10-easy-steps/)

L: salmon, broccoli

S: sunflower seeds, raw veggies (carrots, tomato, cucumber)

D: chicken, broccoli or zucchini (or IF if I'm not hungry)

Fitday breakdown:

Grams Calories %-Cals

Calories 1,943

Fat 126.8 1,127 57%

Saturated 20.6 182 9%

Polyunsaturated 19.4 168 9%

Monounsaturated 29.0 258 13%

Carbohydrate 96.7 364 19%

Dietary Fiber 22.5

Protein 119.0 473 24%

Alcohol 0.0 0 0%

Oh and I weigh around 150 and am 5'3" if that matters at all.

Here's today's food so far:

B: green monster--2 c spinach, 1 banana, 1 c almond milk, 1 scoop wheatgrass, 1 scoop green superfood (made by amazingrass.com), 1 spoon flaxseed

L: BLT salad--spinach, tomato, cucumber, green onions, 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, 3 pieces bacon, olive oil & vinegar as dressing

D: going out--meat (steak probably) and some veggies

So that's it so far. I'm really not hungry at all after that delicious lunch Here's the fitday breakdown:

Calories

Fat

82.5g 732cals 55%

%Saturated

22.2g 199cals 15%

%Polyunsaturated

7.4g 65cals 5%

%Monounsaturated

39.7g 351cals 26%

%Carbohydrate

64.8g 238cals 18%

%Dietary Fiber

21.3g

Protein

89.6g 361cals 27%

%Alcohol

0.0 0

0 %

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

When you get that yummy pig bacon, be sure to get uncured (lower sodium) and no nitrates or nitrites. And of course, organic if possible.

Conan Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

That's an extremely clean diet. If you get stuck you might try dropping the banana since they have quite a bit of sugar.