Thread: Is this what fasting is normally like? page

mixie is offline Senior Member

Is this what fasting is normally like?

Hello all!

I've been trying to pay a lot of attention to eating strictly to hunger, lately. Most days this works out in me getting hungry around late lunch-time, and then again around dinner--naturally falling into that six or seven hour block I'd seen discussed. I noticed that if I had some (full-fat, unsweetened) Greek yogurt and berries after dinner, I'd wake up starving... but otherwise it seems I'm not naturally inclined toward breakfast.

Anyway, yesterday I kept waiting to get hungry, and just never did. I went out and burned a few calories with a little low-grade parkour-type monkeying around, climbing a tree at the park, jumping up on/off/over stuff, that kind of thing. I had a little heartburn around bed-time, so I munched a couple almonds, but still didn't feel hunger.

I had a little bit of a hard time getting to sleep. I felt great--sharp and active and, I dunno, "primal". Like I wanted to go out and hunt. Or climb a tree. Or... go kayaking ;0). Hunting hawks in this state are said to be "in yarak", honed and ready with a particular look in their eye; that's what I felt like.

I woke up this morning and checked in with myself. I wasn't hungry when I woke up, so I went out and did a little more climbing around at the park, came home and was suddenly ravenous, about 10:30. I had a handful of grass-fed ground beef cooked in tallow with some green beans and spinach and it was great.

Is there a limit to "eating to hunger"? I feel great. I'm not counting calories or tracking portions under the assumption that I need to learn to listen to my hunger signals. Is it okay to just continue eating on a total non-schedule? Primal food PRN? ;0)
    Last edited by mixie; 10-24-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, by all means. If you have healthy hunger signals, listen to them. Do you think Grok and the clan had a fixed time for meals every day? They ate in some combination of "when they could" and "when they were hungry". The reason the Groks didn't get fat is that they never had the kind of abundance that we do on a regular basis. The problem some people encounter with listening to their hunger signals is that their signaling mechanism is totally whacked due to metabolic disorders, thyroid problems, etc. That's when they need to impose some control from the outside in in terms of portion size or calorie counting.

Also Grok never had such abundance 365 with so little effort required to get it. Alex was writing in another thread that he had solved his problem of overeating nuts by buying them in the shell and extracting them with a rock. Good idea.

I know what you mean about fasting and feeling like you could go spear a bison if one were around. I love doing my workouts like that, particularly the sprints. I feel so focused.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 10-24-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    YES! That's the state that everyone wants out of fasting, and you got it.

Just don't waste it when you get that sharp, energized, "I wanna go hunt" feeling. That energy can be redirected into all kinds of endeavors including construction projects, crazy workouts, even creative writing. It's not every day or even every time you fast that you will feel that way (unless you are very lucky), so do something cool with it!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The problem some people encounter with listening to their hunger signals is that their signaling mechanism is totally whacked due to metabolic disorders, thyroid problems, etc. That's when they need to impose some control from the outside in in terms of portion size or calorie counting.
    Right, and I *never* would have even considered trying this four or five months ago. It would have been a quick trip to anorexia-ville. But I feel really, really great and totally empowered. Like, my brain isn't broken, and neither is my body! Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    YES! That's the state that everyone wants out of fasting, and you got it.

Just don't waste it when you get that sharp, energized, "I wanna go hunt" feeling. That energy can be redirected into all kinds of endeavors including construction projects, crazy workouts, even creative writing. It's not every day or even every time you fast that you will feel that way (unless you are very lucky), so do something cool with it!
    Oh man, I knew I shoulda just gotten up and busted out some work ;0)
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude