Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Calories

Shop Now
    I'm still slightly confused about calories. I've been logging calories to see how much I'm eating and even on days where I feel like I've over-eaten I'm only getting about 1000 calories a day. I'm logging everything including the oils I'm cooking with. I've been told I NEED to eat 1200 calories to stay above starvation mode, and it's hard for me to get that # out of my head.

Should I be adding more food to up the # of calories, or do calories really not matter when you're eating this way?

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    I don't believe in a set point which you HAVE to stay either under or over. But it depends on a lot of things. It seems you are female, what is your age, height and weight? What is the reason you are getting only 1.000 calories? Are you full? do you just want to eat less to lose more weight? Any other reason I might miss? Where are the calories coming from? What do you eat exactly in a day?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    1,000 calories is practically nothing. A single pound of steak clocks in around a thousand calories, and I could easily eat 2-3 pounds in a sitting without breaking a sweat, plus sides. A pound of steak is only around 100g of protein, so I'm assuming you're getting at least that in a day? Do you have a food log?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Yes I'm female, 5'3 and 158 right now (goal is under 125). It feels like I'm eating a ton of food and I'm just not hungry. I always eat until I'm full, but I never over-eat or gorge myself. Right now a typical day consists of 3 eggs/2 slices of bacon for bfast, a huge salad (romaine, bell pepper, carrots, celery, bacon or left-over chicken) with home made ranch for lunch and for dinner I always eat some kind of protein like steak, fish or chicken with sauteed vegetables. I cook with coconut oil, bacon fat, or butter. I'll have some nuts for a snack if I feel hungry in between meals, but that doesn't happen much. I always feel like I'm eating a lot, but when I log what I eat to check the protein/fat content I'm always surprised at how low the # of calories is. I could add more food in to my diet if I needed to, but I wasn't sure if calories really mattered.

I do keep a food log, and there's no way I could eat that much steak in a day. Well, I could if I broke it up into 3 meals. My food log is not copy/paste friendly and really don't want to sit and type out days worth of food. The last log I made looked like this:

calories 924, carbs 74g, fat 44g, protein 74g

It's really hard for me to get in a lot of protein because I'm just not and have never been a heavy meat eater. Maybe that's where I need to add in more?

Maybe the program I'm using sucks LOL I should try to log that into somethine else and see what I come up with.

I've been using myfitnesspal lately, I used to use sparks. I'm just going to stop worrying about it. I feel like I'm eating enough and I'm losing weight steadily so I know things are working right for me.

Thanks!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am with lady carnivore, it looks like you are eating about the right amount of food. If you are not losing weight, then I would start measuring and find a better tracker, I have used spark and fiteday and each has pros and cons. But as long as you are losing weight you are on track, don't stress about it! and congrats on losing.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Lady Carnivore's counts sound more accurate to me unless your portions are absolutely tiny. I say if you're full, then you've eaten enough.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Yes, You eat almost exactly what I eat 1200-1400cals/day.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast