Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: freeweight squat question page

adamm is offline Senior Member

freeweight squat question

Primal Fuel
    So just now I discovered a problem. I do slow burn, so I'm not quite using the weights more traditional lifters do, as I'm doing everything slower. Nonetheless, I just now incremented up to a weight level where I discovered a problem.

How do I dismount? I lift in my basement, and outside of a bench (which doesn't support weights), I don't have anything except a heavy bag, free weights, and a yoga mat (for floor exercises).

Advice on how to do squats with a heavy weight would be welcome. I don't want to drop a heavy bar on the floor from shoulder height. It is both dangerous and damaging.

Thanks!

--Me

dado Guest
    you need a squat stand or rack.

i do not know how you can do squats without this.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    or bumper plates...you could also sub your barbell back squats for sandbag back squats - not a perfect alternative but you won't have any problems dropping it on the floor

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I'm with dado. If you want to do back squats (and who wouldn't?) you need a rack. Go on Craigslist and find a used one, cheap or free.

Coach, I think the real issue isn't the dropping, but how do you even get the bar into position? If there's any weight at all, you can't clean and press it and lower it into position behind your back.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Well, there are multiple variations of the squat. Since it sounds like you don't have anything to brace the bar on, you're stuck with lifting the bar (or other instrument, like a sandbag) from the floor. With that in mind, you can still do front (clean the bar and then rearrange your hands) and zerchor (google/youtube it) squats with a bar, or goblet squats with a dumbbell (or kettlebell).

There is also another variation of the squat (I forget the name of it) that you need very strong bar collars for (as in compression or screw ins, not the spring type), where you load the barbell, hoist one end up, bend your torso over and get it on your traps and then straighten up, getting the bar into a normal back squat position. However, I really don't recommend this at all, as it has the potential to go massively wrong.

Additionally, if you are going to do any sort of heavy lifting, I really recommend you get a few stall mats (4'x6' x 3/4" mats of thick plastic, which you can find at most farm supply stores) to save your floor from dropped lifts.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Gah, wife would **** bricks if I brought in "infrastructure". It would be challenging enough for me anyway, as I use the workout room as both a dojo and a workout room. With weights, I can shunt them off to the sides and leave enough room for me to do katas, line drills, whatever. If I put in cages, racks, whatever, those don't shunt to the side very well and thus would keep me from playing at karate.

Dumbbell squats? I don't know if I could hold the dumbbells for 60 seconds, though... Not at these weights (even though mine are lighter due to slow style exercise). Hmmmm.

--Me

not on the rug is online now Senior Member

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Sandbag squats.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You can't do barbell back squats safely or correctly with any real weight if you don't have a rack. I don't even know what you're doing now without one.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Those people above me are all correct. Squatting without a rack is impossible unless the weight is super-light. Use a sandbag or couple of kettlebells if you need some light squatting in the meantime.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast