Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticeable changes in body fat composition, how long does it take? page

CrashDummy is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

For those "seasoned" PBers:

On a 90% primal diet + 6 workouts per week (triathlon training + weight lifting and HIIT), how long should I expect it to take to see very noticable drops in body fat? I started PB a little over a month ago and I stick to it about 90% (I get frozen yogurt on sundays only.)I'm in medical school and given what I've learned about the human body, I'm thinking it is a slow process but I was curious to see what others have experienced.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on where you are and how you get to where you want to go.

If you are very obese, you will loose rapidly and as you get closer to your ideal weight, body fat loss will become slower and harder.

Also, it depends if you over eat or under eat, or if you over train or under train. Or if you are male or female or old or young. Hormonal issues can also affect things. Lots of variables to consider make it difficult to answer your question.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Dr. Rob DAquila Guest

You couldn't have said it better Asturian - great answer! Over/under-training can be an issue. I find that people need to figure out if they need more or less aerobic exercise (e.g.: jogging), or more or less anaerobic exercise (weight training) - and hormones may be the key; especially adrenal hormones.

Vick is offline Senior Member

I've dropped 30 lbs since the first of August.

I've got my weight lifting to less than 5 minutes done on Monday.

Wed is 4 x 30 second sprints on a stationary bike.

Friday is 4 x 30 second sprints on the stationary bike.

Everything I've read that makes sense to me (I'll qualify that may only be me) is that the body is a metabolism. It responds to intensity. High intensity is a method of draining the glucose out of the muscle and causing adapt measures to break down insulin resistance to make for more efficient replacement.

I've removed the grains and sugars (90%) for the same reason. I refuse to starve myself. If I'm hungry I eat. I'm learning to not eat because I'm bored.

I don't jog. Probably never will. It ruins a nice walk.

stevehtcyl is offline Member

I went from 11.7% to 10.3% BF in my first month on PB.

I agree, once you start getting close to your ideal weight or BF% it becomes harder to see results. Btw, I am female and I'm somewhere around 16% BF right now and about 5lbs off my ideal weight, but I hold onto muscle like it's going out of style so weight lifting and HIIT actually makes the scale go up... without a change in body fat %age. I also agree with Dr. Rob about the "sweet spot" of training - too much or too little. In the past it seemed when I toned down the training a bit, the better my results became. So I might just be shooting myself in the foot by working as hard as I do. Thanks for the advice

Milo is offline Junior Member

Vick, could you elaborate on your exercise routine?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

CD,

I would KILL to be at 16% BF...I would venture to guess that whatever you weigh right now IS your "Ideal Weight".

:-D

Kuno1chi,

You could be right but somehow I just can't seem to get my brain to agree with my body, lol. It seems the harder we work the higher goals we set. I remember a year ago my goal was to weigh what I weigh now, but now that I'm there I set the bar higher and try to acheive a new goal. I think changing my lifestyle to PB will make the difference but it won't be a quick change...maybe by next year.

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Milo

Wednesday and Friday

I've got a stationary bike and I do a 4 by 30 second sprints with a 2-3 minute rest between sprints.

Monday I do a overhead shoulder press, low row on a hammer machine and a leg press, and the following week I do a chest press, high row on a hammer machine and a leg press.

I do one set. I don't count the reps I do it under time. Each exercise should last around 70 seconds with an increase in weight each week.

That's it. It is about intensity not duration that grows muscle and burns fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast