Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going Primal over 50 .... Any hope for me? page 2

greentree2 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I am a 54 year old hypothyroid, perimenopausal woman. I've lost 50+ pounds and kept it off for almost 2 years. I lost the weight eating low carb and by going primal.

There are a few threads dealing with females 50 and over. Here are two:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19095.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32701.html

In regards to thyroid-- What does "my thyroid level is still below optimal level." actually mean? Do you have test results you can share? If so, please include reference ranges. These ranges can be found can be found next to your result, usually in parentheses-- TSH 3.2 (.35-5.0).

Thanks for the questions.

At the last test, my TSH was about 7.5. Not as high as it's been, but still high. My doc increased the dose of Levoxyl and I'll get it tested again in a couple of months. T3 and free T4 were normal, though since I don't actually have a thyroid, my understanding is that these tests aren't relevant. I'm hypothyroid because my thyroid was removed not, like a lot of people, because it just slowed down or quit on its own.

I'm taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D per day and 25 mg (250 mcg) of selenium.

I'm not taking any kind of hormone for perimenopause. I don't have any undesirable symptoms so no need for that.

greentree2 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roromisty View Post
    Hi Greentree2! I'll be 53 next week, and I'm perimenopausal. So far with primal I'm down 51 lbs. since mid-April. I feel so much better - more energy, no more constant aches & pains, no more GERD, my skin and nails are improved, and more! I still have 34 lbs. to go, but this is a rediculously easy way to lose weight (for me, at least). No feelings of deprivation, eating delicious natural foods, and feeling healthy and alive for the first time in years!
    Happy birthday! Great news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12