Thread: New to Primal from New Mexico page

Kacie is offline Junior Member

New to Primal from New Mexico

Primal Fuel
    Hello all! My name is Kacie, I'm almost 27, married, work full time, and in my first clincal semester of nursing school (read: hell.) I started Weight Watchers at the end of April at a weight of 342 pounds. For the first 6 weeks I followed the "Weight Watchers good health guidelines" to a 'T' and felt horrible! I was losing weight, but couldn't concentrate, was a whirlwind of emotions, my right lower abdominal quadrant hurt constantly, etc. My husband happened upon a documentary on netflix called 'fathead' and insisted that I watch it with him. I'm so glad he did! I realized I was getting ZERO fat in my diet and that and the freakish amount of daily whole grains I was consuming was probably the source of all of my problems. Went out for a cheeseburger without the bun that day, had eggs and bacon for dinner that night and by the end of the week I felt so much better.

Much to the dismay of my Weight Watchers leader, I've continued to lose weight. A few weeks ago, I become concerned that I was getting constipated (Seriously, nursing school makes you anal about your bowel patterns. Pun intended!) and I started eating whole wheat tortillas and brown rice again. I didn't lose any weight for three weeks and my abdomen started hurting again. I discovered MDA via the three new leaves blog. I ditched the grains and my weight has started dropping again. I'm down to 291! (50 pounds!)

I'm still a noob at all that is primal and sometimes the best I can do is choose a low carb burger at Carl's Jr on my way to school. I still have some non primal food in my deep freeze that I don't feel good about throwing out but I'm definitely on my way. I made my first primal recipe the other night and was in love (Primal Texas Chili! So good!). Now just to manage my time between work and school so that I can find time to walk every day and I'll be set.

I'm so glad to have found this community! Thank you for being such a great resource!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Waving hi from Santa Fe...

I definitely recommend getting the book as well as learning from the forum. It's been really helpful in my journey.

200-400 mg Magnesium (citrate or glycinate work well for most) per day can help with constipation. Your stools will get too soft if you take too much!