Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Dan is going for it page

primal-dan is offline Member

Primal Dan is going for it

I need some help because this isn't working, so here goes...

I've been overweight my entire adult life. In my twenties I could out exercise my diet but when I stopped my weight would creep back up. My reality check was seeing pictures of myself from Christmas 2009. My face was so pudgy and round I couldn't believe it. I dug out my scale, blew the dust off, and found I was 210lbs. At my height of 5' 7'' that's a BMI of 33, which I was shocked to find is rated as obese. Me, obese? I was active, I didn't eat junk food, I cooked most of my meals, what the hell? It was time to do something. I set a goal - to reach a normal BMI of 24.

I started with a general "eat less food" diet, then added exercise, and the weight started coming off. I dropped about 10 lbs by April before stalling for two months, so I started counting calories and eating about 1600 cal / day. That was good for 1 lb per week for the rest of the year. I discovered MDA around August, made a few adjustments (increased calories to 2k, went 90% primal) that made life easier, and by 2011 I was 40 lbs lighter. Best of all I had retained nearly all of my lean muscle mass, 37lbs of that 40 was lost fat.

Feb of 2011 I got a promotion and fell off the wagon. I stopped counting calories and logging my weight. I continued to eat 90% primal but my weight loss stalled, and despite repeated efforts over the last 9 months I haven't been able to make any real progress. This has been extremely frustrating. I've been exercising 5 times a week for the last three months (but not counting calories) and my weight just won't budge. So I'm starting this thread to say where I am, what I need to do, and to keep myself accountable.

Stats
    Male, 5' 7", 33y, est 15% BF
    Current weight: 176 lbs
    Highest weight: 210 lbs
    Goal weight: 153 lbs

I have 23 lbs to loose and I plan on doing it by eating 90% primal, logging all my food, keeping carbs under 100g/day, and keeping overall calories under 2000 per day. Wish me luck.

Day 1 - Ate only 1100 calories today, with 43% fat, 37% protein and 20% carbs. I know this is too low and I plan to bump it up to 1400 cal tomorrow.

Day 2 - Slept well and had a good day with lots of protein. Diet was all primal other than milk in my coffee, and the meat I ate was not organic or pastured. Had sausage, steak, and chicken vegetable stir fry.

Calories: 1560
    F: 53g, 30%
    P: 190g, 50%
    C: 80g, 20%

For exercise I ran 2 miles, just after work but before dinner. Seems like my runs go better on an empty stomach.

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Wow, just wow. You should be so proud of yourself - for how far you've come, and for making a plan to stick with it through the end.

I don't know if I could eat so little every day, though (thinking averages, not individual days) - do you feel hungry? I'm new to the lifestyle and haven't gone hungry yet, but I'm probably eating closer to 1800 calories per day. I weigh more than you, but I'm a Grokette. Perhaps I will find that's too much after a while?

Hello SweetPickles. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I definitely feel hungry, but I think I can handle it. I've done a 36 hour fast before so a little calorie restriction is relatively bearable. 1800 is probably too little rather than too much depending on how active you are.

Day 3 - Slept OK. Went to bed late and woke up early for a morning conference call. Barely managed to pack my breakfast and lunch before I was out the door. Decided to go to the gym during my lunch hour and get a quick intense workout in. Did some body weight stuff and a few heavy lifts. Overall felt great.

Calories: 1200
    F: 46g, 34%
    P: 129g, 43%
    C: 68g, 23%

I know that is way too little. I made soup for dinner using pastured organic oxtail, carrots, onions, cabbage, and turnips. It was tasty but there sure wasn't much meat on that oxtail. Lots of carbs today from all the veggies in the soup.

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    You're already a success Dan! Can't wait to hear about your progress! :-)
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Thanks Katie.

Day 4 - Slept barely over 5 hours and was up early for another meeting. Ate a decent breakfast but worked through lunch so overall calories were too low again. Dinner was simple, just a 14oz filet of wild sockeye salmon grilled medium rare.

Calories: 1500
    F: 83g, 51%
    P: 158g, 43%
    C: 20g, 6%

No exercise today. Feeling pretty run down at this point so taking a rest day.

I think I'll do daily updates for the first week then slow down.

Day 5 - OK sleep, 8 hours in bed and woke up a few times. Ate only two meals today, breakfast and dinner. Treated myself to a cab and dark chocolate truffles after dinner.

Calories: 1800
    F: 83g, 42%
    P: 126g, 28%
    C: 80g, 18%
    Alcohol: 12%

As expected, the weight is coming off fast in the first week. Woke up at 168lbs.

Day 6 - Good sleep, great diet. Grass fed ground beef for breakfast, wild sockeye salmon and left over chicken vegetable stir fry for lunch, strip steak and sweet potatoes for dinner. I went for a run early afternoon and now am about to go lift heavy things in my garage. Feeling good.

Calories: 1950
    F: 88g, 41%
    P: 205g, 42%
    C: 51g, 10%
    Alcohol: 7% (wine)

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like seeing how this unfolds in detail. And 8 pounds already! Wow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast