Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull up bar heeeellllppppp! page

Mhatcher17 is offline Member

Pull up bar heeeellllppppp!

Primal Fuel
    So I bought and returned a pull up bar, similar to the p90x one because my doorways are too wide for the bar to fit. Then I bought the ones that mount with brackets and go from one side of the door to the other. It seems if I use this one, my knees will be bent or might even drag on the floor. I can't mount anything to my walls, I do not have a garage or basement, and I do not have space for anything free standing. I really want to have something to use inside to I can keep an eye on my children. Any suggestions?

crowemagnonman is offline Senior Member
    Well, If you don't mind going into your ceiling you could always go straight into a beam. That's pretty much what I did in my garage with plumbing pipe and floor flanges. I wouldn't go into the drywall though. You could secure a 2x6 into the beam and give the screws for the pull-up bar something more substantial to bite into. I have a few pictures on my site that you could check out to give you some ideas. Pull-up Bars

Hope that helps!
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

Thanks. I would have to go through drywall or plaster . . . I live in a pretty old house. If I do something like you pictured, I will have to put it in my bedroom or maybe the playroom.

Thanks for the advice. Give me something to think about.

crowemagnonman is offline Senior Member
    No problem! Hope you get it figured out. Once you get pretty good at pull-ups you could have the kiddees hang on to your legs for an extra challenge.
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Buy a stand. Whole stand unit with a pullup bar, handles for tricep dips (whatever they are called), etc. Usually pretty expensive, but they are terrific. Here is an amazon link for an example.

--Me

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    You could always use your door for pull ups! If the door is sturdy enough, just open it up and shove a shim, book, or towel under the side furthest from the hinges. This will increase the structural stability of the door and keep it from damaging the hinges. Now grab the door and start banging out pull ups! Or you could always use a suspension trainer like The Life Line Jungle Gym (Fitness Equipment) and use that on a closed door. The jungle gym would also double as a tool for push ups, dips, rows, tuck knees and a whole lot more if your looking for something for more than just pull ups. And it's 1/3 of the price of every other suspension trainer out there.
    Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have room for a stand on the floor. I already have some handles and the rubber-tube things. I guess I can do something with them until I get this figured out!

philfy is offline Junior Member
    if i had a working camera id take pics of my set up, i might try later on when my phone is charged.
    what i did tho, was rig a bar up on my porch, its dangling by rope so does no damage to what it hangs from... wherever you are im sure there is some way to do this.

Thanks philfy--I would love to see a pic! That might solve my problem.

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhatcher17 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I don't have room for a stand on the floor. I already have some handles and the rubber-tube things. I guess I can do something with them until I get this figured out!
    Here is a free-standing bar that comes in pieces and takes just a minute to set up or tear down. You should have room for this as it takes little room and stores out of the way in any closet or under a couch or bed.

Free-standing Portable Pullup Bars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast