Thread: Primal, Newly Pregnant, and Loving it, but Wondering page

Xiii_months is offline Junior Member

Question Primal, Newly Pregnant, and Loving it, but Wondering

Shop Now
    Alright! If that title doesn't get you curious then so be it!

Point One:
    I've been trying to lose weight since my daughter turned 1 1/2 (still bf, but solids too) about a year and a half ago. I started with my trusty slimfast which worked after my son. Lost about 3lbs, plateau. Combined with WeightWatchers, nada (21poits per day). Worked with a nutritionist, got down 10lbs, plateau. During this I was walking every day for about 40 min. First carrying my daughter and pulling my son in the wagon, then pushing my daughter and chasing my son on his bike. Last summer I got down to 174 (5'5", goal 145-155). Well over the last year with the same exercise and diet, I gained 13lbs! I talked to my dr who I now know is an idiot having asked him and his response being to stop eating and keep calories to 900/day. Yeah, he told me to be anorexic. New dr, apt next week. Anyway, two friends have been teaching me about MDA, and I cut all carbs (grains, potatoes) two weeks ago (gluten grains Aug with no results).

Point 2:
    2 weeks ago we got a positive test! It's interesting because I had been having morning sickness (really early 3weeks) but when i cut out the grains, it was gone!

Point 3:
    Concern: I've been eating 1100-1300 cal/day for so long, more food doesn't fit! My friend suggested simply having an extra protein shake and some ccoconut oil. Will that be enough for baby? My current goal is to maintain my weight until the birth of this babe.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    I think maintaining your weight while pregnant is a bad goal, sorry. I know you're in a position where you want to lose weight but I don't want you to set yourself up for a downfall and on top of that, end up nutritionally hurt. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that your body is holding on to the extra weight because you're still nursing and producing milk requires an extra 500 calories or so. Feeding yourself 1300 calories plus the deficit of nursing and your exercise has made your body think, WTF am I going to feed the baby? I'm one of those people who held on to the last 15 lbs until my kids' weaned. Then it dropped off. And it's not the calories that don't fit, it's the portion of the foods. Eat more nutritionally dense foods and you'll automatically get more calories without feeling completely stuffed

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Focus on healthy real foods, and don't worry about maintaining/gaining weight. You don't need any stress while pregnant. I wouldn't recommend the extra protein shake-that's processed food...just eat nutritious foods and enjoy a healthy pregnancy. Plenty of time for cutting calories once the baby is born!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    I think maintaining your weight while pregnant is a bad goal, sorry. I know you're in a position where you want to lose weight but I don't want you to set yourself up for a downfall and on top of that, end up nutritionally hurt. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that your body is holding on to the extra weight because you're still nursing and producing milk requires an extra 500 calories or so. Feeding yourself 1300 calories plus the deficit of nursing and your exercise has made your body think, WTF am I going to feed the baby? I'm one of those people who held on to the last 15 lbs until my kids' weaned. Then it dropped off. And it's not the calories that don't fit, it's the portion of the foods. Eat more nutritionally dense foods and you'll automatically get more calories without feeling completely stuffed
    +1million /enddoctorevilaccent

Eat lots of protein (grass fed cows, organic chickens, etc), eat boatloads of veggies (you know the types, and mix 'em up a lot). Try to stay off the grains. That's it. Just eat. Eat lots. Don't think you'll put on too much weight, you may even not put any on, but make sure you are getting the calories you need and all the vitamins you need. So don't count calories!!! Just eat good, whole, healthy foods and if you can, stay off grains. Heck, even some rice or potatoes won't kill you

Oh, and congratulations!!!!

--Me

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations!

You actually don't need any extra calories until the 2nd trimester. That said, I would stop counting calories now and eat Primal foods to satiety. Many Primal moms gain a lot less than they did on the SAD and find the baby weight drops off pretty quickly post-partum--especially if they breastfeed.

You may find this blog post I wrote helpful (I'm a Pregnancy coach )