Thread: Pork belly? page

Velocity is offline Senior Member

Pork belly?

I have about a half pound of pork belly in the fridge that I need to prepare. What's your favorite way to prep it?
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Slice two onions and some garlic. Slice the pork belly into portions (optional). If it has skin (I hope it does!), cut the skin into a checkerboard pattern. Put everything in a roasting tray. Divide the onion and garlic so that it is both under and on the meat. Season with salt, paprika and other spices of your choice, add water (so that the meat is at least half-submerged). Cover the tray with a foil or a lid and cook it in the oven until it is tender (one hour approximately; it will depend on how thick the cut is). You may want to turn the meat after half an hour. Then remove the foil or lid and let it roast until it gets a wonderful reddish color (about 30 minutes) - make sure it is the skin side up for this phase.
    It will look about like this:

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Heat oven as high as it will go. Make sure the pork skin is very dry. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Lay the pork on a few sprigs of sage in a roasting dish, skin up.

Put in oven for 25 minutes at high, then turn the oven down to 160C 320F. Roast for 20 minutes and then pour about a quarter inch of boiling water into the tin. Keep roasting for about another 40 minutes to one and a half hours - at this temperature, a long roast is good. The skin will turn into fabulous crackling and the meat will be totally succulent.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Funny you should mention as I just about 2 lbs of it frozen at my farmer's market on a whim. It is basically just uncured bacon. I'm planning on slicing it while a little thawed (but not totally thawed) and just cooking like I would a thick piece of bacon but adding my own spices like paprika, cumin, pepper, etc.

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    1 onion
    2 garlic cloves
    2 T olive oil
    3 oz tomatopaste
    1 T applecider vinegar
    1 T honey
    1 T worcestershire sauce
    1 T tabasco
    50 ml water

Chop and saute onions and garlic. Add tomato paste and heat for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir untill mixed well.

Let the mixture cool, marinade the pork belly in it for at least 1 hour and then just put it in a pan with some butter .

ppham27 is offline Member
    Thit Kho Caramelized Braised Pork and Eggs

Amazing Vietnamese dish using coconut and eggs with the pork belly.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Half a pound is not a huge amount, so keep it for delicacies.

Slow cook it at 100C for 4-6 hours. Sit it in a tray with a tray on top and a weight on top of that overnight.
    Pop it in the fridge and cut off pieces as and when you need them.