Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barefoot/ minimalist boots and keeping feet warm in the north page

jaye is offline Senior Member

barefoot/ minimalist boots and keeping feet warm in the north

This summer I tried to stay barefoot most of the time. I'd like to continue but I live in Wisconsin. It's fall now and already feel like my feet will get too cold. I have endometriosis and was told by my doctor not to ever let my feet get cold (for pelvic circulation reasons).

For people that go barefoot all year in cold climates, are there tricks to not letting your feet get cold?

I've been looking around for minimalist boots but I really need something that can hold up to lots of snow, long rough walks, etc.

And, on top of that I have a very physical outdoor job where I usually have to where work boots. Are there any good minimalist workboots for women? I'm talking 8" high, vibram soles, all leather boots. My workboots now feel like straightjackets for my feet.

Finally, I'm a goat farmer, and I like my slip on rubber boots for checking livestock. They have a little tiny heal on them. But my feet float freely around inside. How bad are they?

Thanks!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm checking out moccasins with a fleece interior. if i can't find some for a reasonable price with thin soles i'll probably make my own
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaye View Post
    This summer I tried to stay barefoot most of the time. I'd like to continue but I live in Wisconsin. It's fall now and already feel like my feet will get too cold. I have endometriosis and was told by my doctor not to ever let my feet get cold (for pelvic circulation reasons).

For people that go barefoot all year in cold climates, are there tricks to not letting your feet get cold?

I've been looking around for minimalist boots but I really need something that can hold up to lots of snow, long rough walks, etc.

And, on top of that I have a very physical outdoor job where I usually have to where work boots. Are there any good minimalist workboots for women? I'm talking 8" high, vibram soles, all leather boots. My workboots now feel like straightjackets for my feet.

Finally, I'm a goat farmer, and I like my slip on rubber boots for checking livestock. They have a little tiny heal on them. But my feet float freely around inside. How bad are they?

Thanks!
    I say throw some wool and or fleece socks and keep wearing your wellingtons!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Bloodorchid - good suggestion! I suppose you can't go wrong with the original. I had toyed with the idea of making my own - I think I could manage it but the learning curve will be steep and I may not have anything wearable until next winter. But I suppose I could buy my first pair and when they start to fall apart, I could take them apart and use the pieces as a pattern.

Karin - Yes. I think I will keep using my rubber boots for goat chores. By the way, we call them "swampers." I love all the different names for them.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaye View Post

Are there any good minimalist workboots for women? I'm talking 8" high, vibram soles, all leather boots.
    vibram actually just came out with a five finger boot (bormio)...all leather, thicker soles, go above the ankles. a pair of good toe socks and those things, and your feet should stay nice and toasty.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    I live in Wisconsin also and have found that water shoes (like people wear in the pool) work perfectly, provided you look for one that's neoprene rather than mesh. Then, as mentioned, you just put warm socks inside and you're all set. I can't advise on the work boots, unfortunately.

Scuba Diving Boots at Scuba.com this site has some high-top options, might be a place to get ideas at least.

Winter was a whole new thing for me when I started wearing my Teva Proton water shoes instead of my hiking boots, and I'm sure you will feel the same!

kitoi is offline Senior Member

Darbyfett is offline Member
    I like those vibrams, Roo leather is good stuff.

I plan on making myself some simple buffalo hide moccasins for winter. I would prefer brain tan buckskin, but all I have left is scraps and I still have a lot of buffalo. Since it doesn't get crazy cold in East Texas, they will be simple, but if I lived somewhere colder(and wet) I would go for a fur lined moc, with a fat rubbed in for some water resistance.

bilgeh2o is offline Junior Member
    I live in Alaska and wear Steger mukluks in the winter. Moose hide lowers with a crepe sole and a felt liner in a canvas upper. Very warm and very comfortable.

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another vote for Steger Mukluks. My husband is from Ely (where they are made) and it gets COLD there! Everyone wears them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast