Thread: Home made kombucha page

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member

Question Home made kombucha

Primal Fuel
    So following instructions I got from a thread here, I successfully made a batch using some store bought kombucha as a starter. It's smells great and the scoby looks like it does in online pictures.

I finally tried it today and it's really sour. It's got more of a vinegar taste than the store bought stuff. But it still smells good and isn't bad, just too strong for my taste.

Can I do anything? Add sugar? Or just mix it with fruit juice or something?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Well, at least for your next batch you now know to shorten your brewing time (the longer it goes, the more tart/sour it gets).

You should be able to mix it (with juice, or sugar, whatever) just fine. Don't do it for the whole batch, but every time you get some to drink...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Kimchiqueen is offline Member
    I use a couple of tablepoons of ginger juice in each bottle (I use old Kombucha bottles) and dilute the mixture with carbonated water. I do this all the time, but I have found that it works well even if I've fermented too long.

If you don't have a juicer maybe you can find a health food store that has one and buy a bit of juice there.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    My homemade kombucha tastes like tangy apple cider. I like it way better than the storebought.
    As Velocity said, if you leave it too long (3-4) weeks it can get pretty strong.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I like it really strong. But diluting with seltzer water sounds like it might work.

Another option is to cut the first fermentation shorter but do a little bit of a secondary ferment, in whatever bottles you like, with a little fruit. I do this with one strawberry (from frozen) for a pretty big bottle, but like I said, I like it strong.

And a third option is to move to a bigger brewing jar and add more sugared tea to ferment again, only not as long the next time.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    You can also experiment with different kinds of teas. You can use white, oolong, green, and black. I listed from lightest flavor (white) to most intense (black).
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Throw out half the kombucha, replenish it with fresh sweet tea. Start tasting sooner until it has the right amount of tang for you.