Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Grok eat wheat sprouts? page

321Dad is offline Junior Member

Question Can Grok eat wheat sprouts?

Shop Now
    Totally new to primal.
    My books are on order, but I've been listening to several primal/paleo podcasts for a week now. Trying to get oriented here in preparation for diving in.
    My question is this:
    Are sprouted grains no longer considered grains?
    Here's why I ask:
    I've ground my own flour for years (can you say Korg?) because it was healthier than processed flour... But now that I'm looking to go Primal, what do I do with my whole wheat? I could give most of it away to several people I know, but I was wondering about sprouting the rest (I've done it over the years).
    I always heard the sprouted grains are no longer a grain, but are now a vegetable instead. Is that just a convenient anecdote or is it scientifically & (more importantly) biochemically accurate?
    Can Grok eat wheat sprouts?

dado Guest
    no no no, give your wheat to an enemy

Fury is offline Senior Member
    That is a rather good question, at what point do we consider sprouted seeds/beans/etc.... to be a vegetable?

I mean... Are mung bean sprouts considered vegetables? There certainly isn't much if anything of the 'bean' itself remaining

pcg
    pcg is offline Junior Member
    It's clearly a vegetable if you exclude the "fruit," which is the grain itself. No issues. Most people toss out the stalk and only use the grain--just do the opposite and toss out the grain!

Have any of you been primal successfully and actually eaten sprouted wheat as a vegetable choice along the way?
    Got any real experience from which to answer this question?

Paleobird Guest
    I eat wheatgrass all the time. I guess that is the matured form of the sprout.

Basic Primal rule of thumb : if you could pick it or kill it and eat it raw, it is food. That doesn't mean you have to eat stuff raw, just a way of separating out that which needs processing to become edible from that which is naturally edible.

If you can eat the sprouts raw they are food. Or put the grains in a tray and grow yourself some wheatgrass juice.

Paleobird, you say you eat wheatgrass? How? As part of a shake/smoothie? As part of a salad?
    How long do you grow it? ...say in inches? Sprouts are usually not more than 1/4-1/2" long.
    I've only eaten sprouts... Tossed into a salad.
    I'm willing to cut it out completely if the consensus is that I need to, but if sprouts (or even wheatgrass) can be added into salads as one more vegetable, then I'm going to go with that.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Mark discusses this issue in his blog. Answer is Don't eat grain sprouts.

They are still grain, and they still contain the problem components. Dr. Davis:
    Ezekiel said what? | The Heart Scan Blog

The MAIN problem, is that "Modern Wheat" is not wheat at all. It is a Frankenstein Monster created in labs by mad scientists who have tinkered with the DNA so many times that it has become harmful to humans. Gene splicing, radiation, mutating, cross breeding, and now it can't even survive without human intervention.

See the book, Wheat Belly:
    Low Carb Age Wheat Belly Book Review Low Carb Age
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

Grizz

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 321Dad View Post
    Paleobird, you say you eat wheatgrass? How? As part of a shake/smoothie? As part of a salad?
    How long do you grow it? ...say in inches? Sprouts are usually not more than 1/4-1/2" long.
    I've only eaten sprouts... Tossed into a salad.
    I'm willing to cut it out completely if the consensus is that I need to, but if sprouts (or even wheatgrass) can be added into salads as one more vegetable, then I'm going to go with that.
    Well, I am too lazy to grow my own so I buy wheatgrass juice from Canada over the net frozen. But Google "how to grow wheatgrass" and you should find lots of pointers. I have several friends who grow their own and say it is really easy. You can juice the resulting grass or just add it to salads and things.
    Grizz is right that wheat has been bastardized in recent years but he is being a bit over the top and alarmist when it comes to the green part. The problems are in the seed, not the greenery

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, I am too lazy to grow my own so I buy wheatgrass juice from Canada over the net frozen. But Google "how to grow wheatgrass" and you should find lots of pointers. I have several friends who grow their own and say it is really easy. You can juice the resulting grass or just add it to salads and things.
    Grizz is right that wheat has been bastardized in recent years but he is being a bit over the top and alarmist when it comes to the green part. The problems are in the seed, not the greenery
    Paleobird,

You are correct. I was referring to the grain portion of the sprout. Sprouted or not the grain portion is the culprit. This of course means that breads such as Ezekial Bread or Manna Bread are unacceptable. I didn't know you could get just the green sprouts without the grain part.

I'm glad you pointed out eating the green part of the sprout. I've never heard of that one. Do you have a link for where you get your sprouted greens without the grain part? That looks like a great idea to me.

Grizz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast