Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Velvet Antler Spray/ IGF-1 page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Nobody had answered my question yet. Deer antler is basically deer bone right? So there is probably lots of good calcium and other minerals in it but why the antlers specifically? Why not a nice pot of venison bone broth?

As to TCM, that can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Some of it I consider to be very valid. But it was also TCM saying that ground up horns from many of the now endangered species of the world would give a guy a boner that made those species endangered.
    Antler velvet is actually a fast growing highly vascularized tissue that grows on top of the antlers each year and is distinct from the antler itself. I think these powders contain the whole antler as well as the velvet. However, unlike horns where the animals are killed to obtain them, antlers grow back each year and should be a renewable resource. Because of the rapid growth they contain more growth hormones than just bone would have:

White-tailed deer antler growth and physiology: Whitetail Stewards Inc.
    Annual antler development
    Spring/Summer - Annually, deer antler growth begins nationwide between mid-March and early-April. In response to changes in photoperiod, growth hormones from the pituitary gland trigger the release of Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF), which stimulates antler growth. During this time, the soft growing antler is covered with hairy skin, called "velvet". When antlers are in the velvet stage they are full of thousands of blood vessels, cartilage and nervous tissue. Growth of antlers is very rapid, and some deer species are capable of growing nearly 1 inch of antler per day.

Paleobird Guest
    So you take the hormones that are designed to make a ruminant's antlers grow, grind them up with some mineral rich antler powder (bone), put it in a capsule of some sort, ingest and process it through the human digestive system, and this is supposed to do what exactly for the human body? Is it going to make me taller? I'm not sure I want to grow antlers.

I can see the mineral rich supplementation properties perhaps but I don't think that hormones can make it through that sort of a processing to transfer between species. Smells like snake oil to me.

Yes, I know the difference between horns and antlers. I was just questioning the TCM uses it so it must be cool principle.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 10-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.

cruncan is offline Member
    Nobody had answered my question yet. Deer antler is basically deer bone right? So there is probably lots of good calcium and other minerals in it but why the antlers specifically? Why not a nice pot of venison bone broth?

As to TCM, that can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Some of it I consider to be very valid. But it was also TCM saying that ground up horns from many of the now endangered species of the world would give a guy a boner that made those species endangered.
    Well Ms. Paleobird, I like your logic, but its not the calcium we are after. Every year a deer loses it's horns and grows a new rack. They grow it relatively quickly. The velvet covers the antlers until they grow full again. It's soft like velvet. It acts almost like an organ supplying the antlers with nutrients it needs to grow strong and quick. The velvet contains a very potent ingrediant called IGF-1(Insulin like growth factor 1) that is said to be almost like a fountain of youth. Look it up! lol

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cruncan View Post
    Well Ms. Paleobird, I like your logic, but its not the calcium we are after. Every year a deer loses it's horns and grows a new rack. They grow it relatively quickly. The velvet covers the antlers until they grow full again. It's soft like velvet. It acts almost like an organ supplying the antlers with nutrients it needs to grow strong and quick. The velvet contains a very potent ingrediant called IGF-1(Insulin like growth factor 1) that is said to be almost like a fountain of youth. Look it up! lol
    I don't have to look it up. lol. I know what IGF-1 is. What I am questioning is if such a substance can be processed and ingested into a completely different species and still do any good. It was designed for a specific purpose, to make antlers grow on a deer. It is being used to make everything grow and feel good on a human being. That's a big leap. The fact that it is "said to be almost the fountain of youth" makes it only look more snake oily to me.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    High-quality velvet antler is not ingested and totally bypasses the digestive system as it's either taken sublingually or transdermally. Even still, the cheap stuff in capsule form on Amazon has some pretty remarkable reviews.

The high-quality product does not use any bone; only the tips are harvested.

Why would you question cross-species benefit yet not question that bone broth and bone marrow and offal are beneficial to humans? You eat that. There are many, many animal products that we extract from and benefit from. Does taking Premarin, which is extracted from pregnant mares, make you pregnant? That's the exact line of logic you used above, and you're just being silly. I don't think you're truly interested in learning about this; I think you're just being argumentative. So why should I give this more of my time or energy?

For anyone who is actually genuinely interested, there is TON of info about deer velvet antler online.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

cruncan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    High-quality velvet antler is not ingested and totally bypasses the digestive system as it's either taken sublingually or transdermally. Even still, the cheap stuff in capsule form on Amazon has some pretty remarkable reviews.

Why would you question cross-species benefit yet not question that bone broth and bone marrow and offal are beneficial to humans? You eat that. There are many, many animal products that we extract from and benefit from. Does taking Premarin, which is extracted from pregnant mares, make you pregnant? That's the exact line of logic you used above, and you're just being silly. I don't think you're truly interested in learning about this; I think you're just being argumentative. So why should I give this more of my time or energy?

For anyone who is actually genuinely interested, there is TON of info about deer velvet antler online.
    Well said.. Sorry Paleobird lol

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Moo moo. I'm a cow watch me fart. Moo.
    Well mooed.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post

Ingesting another species is called food. It gives us vitamins and minerals. What I was questioning is a hormone specific to deer antler growth being capable of acting as a "fountain of youth" hormone in humans.
    TL, I adore you but this is snake oil. I am honestly not saying this to be argumentative but because I hate to see people getting bilked out of their money. I have the right to an opinion that is different from you on this subject. Let's leave it at that.

BamaAla is offline Member
    This is an old thread and I hate to bump it, but today is the first time I've heard about deer antler spray.

I'm watching the Super Bowl media day and this story about Ray Lewis using "deer antler spray" to come back from injury so quickly. I, of course, immediately ran to my computer and hit up MDA to see if y'all had used it.

That leads me to the question, any of y'all used it? I think I may order a bottle of the spray and see what happens! Any suggestions/feedback?

Ray Lewis doesn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12