I've been doing the 100 pushup/200 squat challenge (just finished week 4, up to 81 pushups in a session, from, like, 4). That's been going well, long way to go, but definitely getting stronger, and definition/shape is returning to my body.

So now I'm trying to sort out my eating. I went VLC quite some time ago, but I'm not sure I'm eating "the best" sources of protein fat, and I'm fairly confident I'm not handling the balance between protein, fat and caloric intake correctly.

Item 1: A typical supermarket grilling sausage

75g total
250 calories
21g fat
10g protein

Item 2: Ground beef

100g total
260 calories
16g fat
26g protein

For the sake of argument, assume that is the only thing being eating during the day. The Primal Fitness guide, if I read it correctly, suggests ~100g of fat a day and 0.7g of protein per pound of lean body mass for "moderate" activity level. Now I'm a still a big guy - already 50 pounds less big than before - but still big. Call it 40% body fat (I don't really know, I'm guessing).

So 0.7 * 0.6 * 270 -> 115g as the daily protein requirement, in addition to the 100g of fat.

With Item #1, 5 sausages hits the 100g of fat requirement. But it falls way short of the protein requirement - doesn't even make half. And the total calories consumed is 1250.

With Item #2, 5 burgers (call it one pound) gets you just over the protein requirement, and almost bang-on the fat requirement. Calories come in at 1300.

Not surprisingly, the (relatively) unprocessed burgers are a better fit than the well-processed generic sausages. I get that. Heck, I raise my own heritage breed free range pigs (sorry, friends & family only ), I really REALLY get that.

What I'm not sure of is, if I eat that pound or so of cow...is it necessary to fill in the 700/800 calories or so it takes to get to the "don't starve yourself" minimum daily intake of 2000 calorie intake (for moderate activity level)? Or is this "close enough", as long as something resembling decent protein/fat intake is maintained?

I feel like I'm missing something at the big picture level...or maybe I get it but don't realize I get it...?

It also seems - and this kind of makes sense - that the better your fitness level (ie, lower body fat) - the easier it is for your system to handle The Sausage as a way of life, as your protein requirements fall below your fat requirements.

Anyway, I apologize for the rambling, mostly I'm just thinking out loud, to give folks an opportunity to correct my errors.