Thread: In need of advice for my vacation page

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

Hi all! I've been primal since August and it has really made me feel the best I've felt in my life! I slipped up a lot over the holidays so I've decided to go super strict until I leave for a vacation the end of February. Strict for me is no alcohol, no dairy and very low carb...around 30g per day. Normally, my carbs go much higher on the weekends too but I'm keeping them low for now.

Now the problem I have is that on those days where I eat grains or dairy or a lot of sugar, it pretty much makes me feel really heavy and lethargic. I'm sure so many of you have experienced this too. I'm going to be heading to Bali and all I can see is the piles of white rice and peanut sauce! haha

I'm really not going to be able to fully control my diet the entire two weeks I'm there so I know I will be eating some things that don't agree with me...esp sugar from a lot of fruit (which I think will be the better option over other things...that's why I feel like I will be eating a lot of it).

So my question is this: Do you think that mid Feb I should start reintroducing more fruit and possibly even some rice so that way my body will start to get used to it before I leave? I just really don't want to feel sick on my trip.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

I haven't been to Bali so I may be totally off base here. Don't they have eggs in Bali? Don't they serve meat and/or fish with every meal along with the rice and peanut sauce? I've traveled a lot and have never been anywhere that you couldn't find eggs, meat or fish. Good luck!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I was sort of in the same situation when I went to Maui earlier this year. I was super-strict up until the actual day I arrived on the island, knowing that I'd want to loosen up (but not go crazy) while I was there. I was fine doing it this way. We spent every day either hiking, surfing, or swimming, so we got in plenty of movement to balance things out. I didn't gain a pound and felt fantastic. Have fun!

janaturner is offline Junior Member

We went to Bali two years ago and I'm pretty sure rice was always served on the side (not already in your curry) so you can just ask them not to include it. We usually had eggs and fruit for breakfast and I remember some really great salads too. Of course you won't know all of the ingredients used in a restaurant meal but you should be able to avoid the starchy carbs easily. I definitely recommend you indulge in the fruit though - it was really great!

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks all.

@slesca - That's what I'm worried about doing...going right up to the day I leave. But I think if I only go off the diet a little (adding a little rice and fruit) I should be ok.