Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracking nails... page

shifty1 is offline Senior Member

Cracking nails...

Shop Now
    Hey Guys...

Want your advice... After being three hundred days primal, I am finding my nails keep cracking and chipping! First time I thought it was just bad luck, now its happening more and more.

Has anyone else had this happen? What am I missing?

-Shifty!
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

Paleobird Guest
    Hmm. That's strange. Most people report the opposite with Primal.
    You might try adding some more bone broth to your diet and possibly some gelatin (unsweetened).

Had me stumped too... DId a search, and everyone was like... My nails are perfect!
    I'll give it a shot. Bone Broth is out right now due to lack of kitchen, but gelatin may be possible....

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Paleobird Guest
    Well, you have friends that have kitchens, right? Get someone to let you use their space and utensils in exchange for a share of the product. Not only that, their house will smell wonderful.

This is something I make often particularly in the summer

Edible Iced Tea

16 packets unflavored, unsweetened gelatin
    mix in cold non sweet juice of your choice enough to soften the gelatin (I sometimes use lemon, lime, cranberry, acai berry)
    then mix in hot strong tea to dissolve and fully liquify mix.

Play around with the proportions. More liquid will make a softer more spoonable jello where less liquid makes jello that can be cut up into cubes and popped in by hand (I prefer the latter).

Also, I don't know if you ever track your macronutrients on something like SparkPeople or Fitday. You may not be getting enough protein. Sometimes when people go Primal, they get so enthralled with all the yummy fats that they reach satiety long before getting enough. Worth checking out.

I wish you well.

June is offline Senior Member
    What Vitamins Are Needed For Strong Nails? | LIVESTRONG.COM This is a good article with lots of information.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I do both bone broth and gelatin now, but I started with the gel. Before that my nails were crap. After using gelatin, they are now really strong. I throw gelatin into all sorts of things, soup, stew, etc.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat any offal and/or seafood? There was a lot of discussion on this forum at one point about a diet that contains only muscle meats as the source of proteins leading to some health issues. Liver, gelatin and bone marrow in particular come to mind as being important for optimal health.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Biotin
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

I have a feeling that gelatin is what Im missing out on. I need to do a little research first, on what I can use, and then I will start adding it to my diet.
    The research is to work out that I can have, and us in people kitchens. It gets a little complicated.

Is this just normal gelatin, no flavor, the same stuff used in jello?

-Shifty

Grizz is offline Banned
    Add a tablespoon of FOOD GRADE D-E to your meals. Mix it into your smoothie or into your coffee. Be careful not to breath in the dust.

Teeth and Gums
    By hardening the enamel, silica prevents cavities and preserves teeth. Silica also prevents bleeding gums, gum atrophy, and recession that causes the loosening of teeth, which could ultimately lead to tooth loss. Silica effectively fights ulceration and the decay of bones, teeth and also lessens inflammation.

Tough As Nails
    Your nail plates are complex protein structures that grow four to five millimeters per month on average. With silica supplementation, fragile nails become normal within a short period of time. Silica will beautify the appearance of your nails and improve their hardness, making them shinier and less prone to breaking.

Restorative Effects Of Silica
    will be most noticeable on your hair, skin, nails and teeth. Our skin and hair require silica essentially for the same purpose as do other tissues. As we know, the supporting collagen underneath the skin enhances elasticity and beauty. Collagen owes that quality to silica, which provides a beautiful complexion that is more than skin deep.
    Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Human Side Effects & Benefits

Grizz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast