Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset for ED recovery? page

al09 is offline Senior Member

Question Leptin Reset for ED recovery?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello Everyone
    This is my first post on the forum, and I'm here because I'm in desperate need of some help! I know there are many knowledgeable people in this forum because I've been reading for a while, so please don't hesitate to give your opinions or experiences.

I have recently discovered Dr. Kruse's blog about leptin, and I'm wondering if a leptin reset would be appropriate for my situation. I'm currently struggling with an ED (bulimia), and I want to get this under control. I have been following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet since May 2010 for treatment of SIBO, but I've been Primal since March 2011. Shortly after going Primal I felt amazing. No cravings, stable blood sugar, and no uncomfortable stabby hunger. Recently I've had serious trouble with binging/purging, I think partially due to emotional stressors in my life, but I know the underlying cause of ED's are not exclusively emotional. I know there is a neurotransmitter issue in there too. I'm currently in therapy, and I've been taking Prozac for the last month (just upped to 20mg) for some situational depression, and to help with the bulimia. So far I've only noticed that my sleep has improved and I cry less, but it seems that the binge/purge cycle has only gotten worse. I want desperately to be free of this, it's so terrible for my body.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a leptin reset would be beneficial in helping me to recover from the ED. I'm also considering going off the SSRI in order to try 5-HTP and amino acid supplementation. I've read about it on here and heard that it's been helpful for some people. I'm apprehensive to jump into the leptin reset because it would be a big change from my routine now. I currently follow the leangains eating window protocol, and exercise according to the Primal Blueprint Fitness. I'm scared to start eating a lot while decreasing the exercise aspect.

If anyone has any insight on the leptin reset, or possible supplements that may be helpful, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    While I don't know about your situation specifically, I can say that IF was a disaster for me. A good way to get depressed and get an eating disorder for sure! Please read what DrK has to say about IF before you continue with it. If you read through the leptin reset thread, you'll see examples of others with ED and gut issues who have done well on the protocol. You will really want to work with your own doc to wean yourself off prozac.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    here's a good post: INTERMITTENT FASTING and LEPTIN | Jack Kruse Read the comments section, too.

Thanks for your feedback Paleobirdy, I checked out that post. Man, if I wasn't confused before I am now! I'm wondering if the leptin reset will help, or if I just need to chill out and not follow some kind of "plan"...maybe that's what's making the ED worse? I want to be able to stop obsessing!!

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    The leptin rx will help you get your testosterone better and E2 lower. It will not hurt at all. But ithink you need testing to see what is at root cause. Dhea, free and total testosterone vit d levels and big time usemof k2 resveratrol and turmeric. Lots can be done. What is the cause of the ED? Do you know? May need salivary cortisol done too.

DigitalSurgeon- Sorry but I'm a little confused....are you suggesting I supplement with vitamin d, K2, resveratrol, and turmeric? I should have also mentioned that I'm female, my name doesn't make the obvious Does that change anything you said about testosterone? Sorry if these questions are basic, but this is all so new to me. Also, how would exercise fit into all of this? I'm not overweight right now, but I don't want to gain weight and I'd like to continue with strength training as I've been noticing improvements. As far as the cause of my ED, it began in my teens after my mother died. There were several years that it wasn't an issue, but it's been back in the last year as I dealt with a tough breakup, moving x2, and grad school among other personal/emotional issues.

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member
    IMO, the original LR thread is huge now, full of lots of great information and experiences but also discussion, digression, diversions. So, I would go to Dr K's site (jackkruse.com), find the basic rules, the supplements to take (covered above) and the FAQ's - I frequently find the answer to something I don't understand by reading the comments. When you feel ready, dive into the original thread for further info.

I have a binging mentality going back to childhood - the LR protocol is allowing me to control the eating side of my emotions hopefully leaving me stronger to work through the rest of the crap. Good luck to you

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    al09, while I can't help in terms of leptin, I am a former bulimic. So I just want to say hi, and wave my pom poms, and tell you that you absolutely can get through this. You're stronger than the ED. You are. You rock. (And you Grok!)

Thanks for the support! It means a lot to me

Mldami is online now Senior Member
    While I have never been into purging, I am a recovering compulsive binge eater. I binged for most of my life for various reasons. I have now been in recovery for 6.5yrs. I just wanted to say hi and wave my pompoms too. I do not know anything about the lepton reset...but I can definitely see how IF and/or a strict eating window could set you up for a binge/purge.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast