Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Leptin Reset for ED recovery? page 6

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    ^Completely agree about the biochemical stuff you are bringing up. but I do think therapy can be valuable for those emotional links/triggers as well. Only recently (actually this thread reminded me) that food should not have an emotional connection. Well, it can, anything can, but there's no reason why I should feel bad for declining cake that my boyfriend made for me, for a silly example. It was a wonderful thought, but I can't eat it and he probably should have taken that into account and/or asked first!

TigerLily, are you following the AA complex according to Depression-Free Naturally or Mood Cure, or something else? Just curious because your recovery sounds much like what I am aiming for and trying to do with the help of 5-HTP (and getting the F off Lexapro) among other supplements.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I have read The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure, but I have not read Depression-Free Naturally. I've been getting great results just from Nature's Way brand 5-HTP plus a general amino acid complex (sort of like a multivitamin) that has all the aminos except for L-tryptophan, which I get from Whole Foods. (I've looked online for something more economical than Whole Paycheck, but have not been able to find anything that's equivalent.) I don't use all the separate bottles/doses of this and that that Ross recommends.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

al09 is offline Senior Member
    I just wrote a long response and it got deleted. SO frustrating!!!! I'll try to re-cap:

Right now I think the therapy is helping me. It's not totally focused on my ED, but it's helping me work through some other issues. I like being able to hear a different perspective. I'm not really happy with my living situation right now, and I'm usually pretty lonely/isolated, so it's nice to have that dialogue and hear feedback from someone else besides myself....if that makes sense. I would like to focus more on the ED, and I think that I will say something soon if that doesn't happen.

TigerLily-I like your ideas about incorporating more body work into my attempt at recovery. I've been wanting to get a massage forever, but as a broke grad student I have a really hard time justifying spending money on that kind of thing when I don't have much to begin with. I think I'll looking into the oils as well. Thanks for all your tips.

Today has been kind of hard for me. I felt that "trance" or "checking out" feeling come on pretty strong earlier.....i usually refer to it as my "crazy brain". I was actually able to get through it though. It started because I ate more coconut butter than I had wanted too (that stuff is kind of like crack for me), and I was feeling bad about it. The situation could have definitely spiraled into full-binge mode, but i was able to stop and leave. I went to the store, then took a walk with a friend. I feel much better now. This was the first time I've been able to stop before it was too late. That makes me happy, but I'm still apprehensive....it's like I don't trust myself yet. Oh I also took some l-glutamine so I think that helped as well.

Last thing- I'm not the sappy type, but I wanted to say that I also think this forum and the support I've found here has really helped me already. It feels silly to admit that because this isn't "real" and I don't really know all of you, but your support and advice has really given me some extra strength and made me feel less isolated in this process, so thank you *end sappiness*

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Glad you feel better and you were able to fight off the binge-mode! I definitely think of my depressed brain as my "crazy brain" too. Also, don't forget we are real people on the other end of the text! I am sure I speak for others when I say that we are happy that our experiences can be of help to you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Sap away! We're the sappiest hunter-gatherers on the entire internet.

How are things today, al09? Progress, not perfection....
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Last night was terrible. I was no longer able to ward off the "feelings" and found myself binging and purging. ugh. I was so close. So of course I felt like crap today....tired, unmotivated, totally blank. I am so sick and tired of this. I don't ever want to do this again. EVER. So why does it keep happening?

I've decided to start a journal thread, it seems like a more appropriate place for all of this.

namelesswonder- of course I know you're all real people, I didn't mean that in a bad way, it's just that this online/forum business is all new to me

tinatamy is offline Junior Member
    Do you mean that you should NOT be eating Paloe or anything different IF you arfe struggling with an Eating Disorder? Or are you referring to Medications in stead of Dietary guidelines?

What about Anorexia Nervosa? I hear so much discussions on Bulimia, but nothing on Anorexia??

Your ADVICE IS INCREDIBLE. I LOVE IT. I've been Anorexic for 30 years and ALL you said is right on. Being Anorexic, food is still my Idol. I keep it close in mind, so my mind can NOT feel, focus, on anything to do with Life. I have recently been diagnosed with Pre Diabetes, which TOTALLY SET ME OFF TO SEARCH FOR ANY FIX, FOOD PROGRAM, ETC. Come to find out after 4 months, I have Very Low Blood Sugars, who Spike when I eat. Totally different. So these past months, I have just KNOWN, If I can eat Primal, Atkins, low Carb, I CAN FEEL BETTER. Been at Atkins plan before in my Life, crazy food plans, JUST KNOWING THAT WILL FIX THE MENTAL, WHICH IS THE WHOLE THING. I have told myself, I NEED to DELETE THE EMAILS, POSTS FROM ANYONE I RECEIVE LOW CARB INFORMATION FROM. BUT I KEEP THEM COMING, JUST IN CASE I SEE SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP ME. I suffer from Depression, OCD, and Anxiety Disorders which Food Focus takes me out of Reality. I do believe I have ADHD going on as well, which is ALL Medical terms for something is Not right Deep Inside. I know that inside, but when the pain gets too bad, I want an Outside fix. Thanks again for sharing what you believe, as it has told me once again. STOP THE MADNESS.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    tinatamy- I've found that sticking to Primal helps with my ED issues and helps quiet the brain aspect of it all, for me at least. I just try to be careful and not get into doing any kind of restrictive "challenges" because that always triggers a binge cycle. I don't include Primal in and of itself as a "diet", it's just how I eat, and I'm not going to change that because it seems to help and it's obviously healthier than CW alternatives. You should check out MalPaz's website, she's a recovering anorexic and talks a lot about it and Paleo and everything. It's a great resource.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456