Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset for ED recovery? page 3

June is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by al09 View Post
    I've been reading another thread that talks about using 5-HTP and amino acids in ED recovery....I guess it's based on the book the Diet Cure. I haven't read it yet, but does anyone have any info/experience with this method?
    Yes I tried this too, following the book. It helped but there are a lot of supplements and it is almost obsessive how you take them. Basically certain ones every few hours. IMO, it was not healthy for me to worry about those supplements... it was just like another b/p obsession. I do still take 5-htp occasionally, but The Diet Cure didn't cure me because I couldn't keep up with all the supplements. I'm sure it would be easier if someone dished them out for me and maybe it works, but I couldn't do it.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    The leptin reset IS NOT a good idea for someone recovering from an eating disorder.
    Cosigned. I doubt any strict protocol of that nature is such a good idea from someone recovering from an ED. The word orthorexia gets thrown around here a a joke sometimes, but it is real and can be serious.

Also, congrats and best wishes in your recovery! It can be a bumpy road, but in the end a worthwhile one.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    omg GET AWAY FROM Dr Kruse's website if you have an eating disorder....i repeat....LEPTIN RX IS NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR SOMEONE WITH AN EATING DISORDER. NDF beat me to it, listen to her

I have never personally suffered from bulimia, i have anorexia nervosa. They are very different diseases, i think one is inborn and one is developed(through your moms passing, my condolences). you can check out my blog and read through it i have touched on bulimia in the past trying to offer what i do know. what you wont find on my blog is food advice, meal plans or anything 'food' related. food isnt your problem, really. the problem is in youre thinking, and filling gaps that should be occupied elsewhere.

if i had to offer you some steps...

1. get a lot of sleep, like a lot as much as you can and stay in bed longer than you feel like

2. lose your relationship with food. do not have one, at all. you can like/enjoy food, but do not have emotional relationships with it. it is what it is.

3. eat liver, and as much bone marrow as you can stomach. same with eggs(soy free ones...)

4. a high protein breakfast WILL assist you in keeping your brain off food. so, chock down some tuna/eggs/burgers when you wake up.do not eat fake food, no powders and shakes and shit

5. do not save food for anything. it seems bulimics like to go along(thinking about food all day) and 'save' food for something...like preoccupying loneliness/socialness etc with food at certain times. then youre stuck in a repetitive pattern that your almost comfortable with, you expect yourself to think and act a certain way and you accept that. that is not okay. you have to change that thinking. NO MORE future tripping- you have to force yourself to live right now, not 5 hours from now or even 5 mins from now

stop working out... if your having these bulimia episodes your energy balance is way outta whack. you cannot fix that when working out. you either want recovery or you dont, it IS that simple. its not like you can never work out again, but while your mentally disturbed with such a disease, you HAVE TO ACCEPT exercise is not your best bet at success. get a job, get a hobby, and as much as your bulimia mind doesn't want to SURROUND YOURSELF WITH PEOPLE for as many hours of the day as you can handle it, then some more to be uncomfortable. this is hard, and it forces you to learn to live LIFE and not live inside your own head. go to church, go to a park, go to the mall, join a club, get hobbies, have sex whatever it is...BE SOCIAL and part of society.

and last...you gotta understand 'it is what it is'....food is what it is, bulimia is what it is, recovery is what it is....accept it. if you havent accepted recovering then you wont be able to do the things you need to successfully. that means accepting changing even if you dont want to. i sure as hell did not wanna put on 45 lbs when i weighed 80

to add.... you need to stop looking for the cure too, another downfall to a gazillion ED sufferers. there is no magic supplement, there is no curing vitamin/pharma drug. stop thinking like that. you need to develop the confidence to recover yourself.

you can do it. i did it. its hard as f*ck.

you will NEVER EVER EVER in your life experience something as traumatizing and hard as recovery, and you need to accept that. dont keep searching for the magic, you have it in you

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    NO, NO, NO!

(Also big no to any sort of Whole30 or carb refeed or any other tangent people here go off into.)
    Last edited by TigerLily; 11-03-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    No, no, no!
    Ack!
    to me?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure she meant "no" to adding possible orthorexia to bulimia by trying to follow a strict and regimented eating plan of any kind.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    nOOOO, Mal.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    +a million to everything Mal said!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

al09 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Grizz- THe blood glucose meter is an interesting idea, and thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check those out.

June- I can see what you mean about the supps becoming an obsession on their own. I think if I try this protocol that's something to be aware of. I don't want to replace obsessive behaviors, I want to get rid of them!

Mal- Thanks for your input. I've actually checked out your blog a lot, and I think you make a lot of very good points. I'm not sure if I agree with your approach to recovery 100%, but I can see how it worked for you and others. I do agree that following a strict eating plan such at the Leptin Reset or the Whole 30 can be detrimental, and I also agree with NDF on that. I've started Whole 30's before just to fail 3 days later and binge like crazy, so, yea, I know enough not to do that, and I'm kind of gotten over the whole Leptin reset thing though. I am still interested in the DIet Cure just because I'm currently on Prozac and I'd like to try something more "natural". I can see why you'd be against it. I'm not really searching for a magic pill. I know it's going to take more than that. I'm currently in therapy and trying to change my thinking patterns/relationship with food. I'm just curious if the Diet Cure protocol will help take the edge off while I'm trying to make these changes during a stressful period (aka grad school). Thanks for your encouragement, and I appreciate your feedback

I've started supplementing with D3, taking about 4000 IU/day....going to start titrating off the Prozac next week. I don't want to be on meds like that. I'm also currently eating primal, no grains or sugar, and I have been for about a year. I definitely feel better when I'm off all that junk in a million ways!

Thanks again for the input everyone, I welcome any advice I can get!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast