Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset for ED recovery? page 2

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by al09 View Post
    DigitalSurgeon- Sorry but I'm a little confused....are you suggesting I supplement with vitamin d, K2, resveratrol, and turmeric? I should have also mentioned that I'm female, my name doesn't make the obvious Does that change anything you said about testosterone? Sorry if these questions are basic, but this is all so new to me. Also, how would exercise fit into all of this? I'm not overweight right now, but I don't want to gain weight and I'd like to continue with strength training as I've been noticing improvements. As far as the cause of my ED, it began in my teens after my mother died. There were several years that it wasn't an issue, but it's been back in the last year as I dealt with a tough breakup, moving x2, and grad school among other personal/emotional issues.
    No....im saying test then consider action. ED has lots of causes. Most are very treatable

al09 is offline Senior Member
    I've been reading another thread that talks about using 5-HTP and amino acids in ED recovery....I guess it's based on the book the Diet Cure. I haven't read it yet, but does anyone have any info/experience with this method?

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    The leptin reset is a bad idea for someone recovering from an eating disorder. You shouldn't be following any sort of plan if you are recovering from an eating disorder.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I've been reading another thread that talks about using 5-HTP and amino acids in ED recovery....I guess it's based on the book the Diet Cure. I haven't read it yet, but does anyone have any info/experience with this method?
    There are a couple of really good, lengthy threads about that somewhere. I tried it, only found benefit from 5-HTP, but I know others have found it very effective.

I would definately not recommend fasting whilst recovering from an ED. Eat real food, regularly (at least 3 meals a day). Don't weigh. Do activities you enjoy. Sleep. When you slip up, don't worry, just carry on. Very basic I know, but a good starting point.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I think you're right. I've been focusing on not restricting and thinking more positively about my food and the choices I make, and I feel a bit better. Thank you

meredithharb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    The leptin rx will help you get your testosterone better and E2 lower. It will not hurt at all. But ithink you need testing to see what is at root cause. Dhea, free and total testosterone vit d levels and big time usemof k2 resveratrol and turmeric. Lots can be done. What is the cause of the ED? Do you know? May need salivary cortisol done too.
    I think the OP is talking about eating disorder and it looks like you are talking about ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION? You are talking around each other. I have never heard of resveratrol and k2 for bulimia.

YES! I mean ED as in eating disorder....good call meredithharb, I was kind of confused about what he meant

Grizz is offline Banned
    Hello Everyone
    I think partially due to emotional stressors in my life, but I know the underlying cause of ED's are not exclusively emotional. I know there is a neurotransmitter issue in there too. I'm currently in therapy, and I've been taking Prozac for the last month (just upped to 20mg) for some situational depression, and to help with the bulimia. So far I've only noticed that my sleep has improved and I cry less, but it seems that the binge/purge cycle has only gotten worse. I want desperately to be free of this, it's so terrible for my body.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a leptin reset would be beneficial in helping me to recover from the ED.
    If anyone has any insight on the leptin reset, or possible supplements that may be helpful, it would be appreciated. Thank you!
    AL09,
    1) I suggest getting yourself a blood glucose meter and test your blood sugar level when you feel depressed and I'll wager that your blood sugar is low (Hypoglycemic). Too many doctors want to prescribe anti-depressant drugs when there is an underlying cause that needs correction with diet.
    Link between bulimia & hypoglycemia Low glucose in the blood makes you binge then the resulting spike in blood sugar makes you purge.

2) I suggest going on the Dr. Kruse Diet for 3 months to see if it helps. I also think you should try to wean yourself of mental drugs ASAP, they are addictive and people I know have become mental cases from taking them.. His diet is helping a lot of people on this board, including myself.

He does discuss Bulimia in 3 of his blogs, and says this:
    If the person was previously seriously serotonin depleted this could cause initial weight gain while dieting, severe cravings, bingeing, bulimia, and severe PMS..... Leaky gut is also a feature of many psychiatric diseases as well. Anorexia and bulimia come to mind. Alzheimer’s and schizophrenia are some others. The data is pointing to autism also being correlated with a leaky gut....
    Search his Blog for more.

You should also be taking 1,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 oil based geltabs. Here is why: He correctly cites Mental Illness of ALL TYPES.
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse
    Also here:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

See this link for an introduction to Leptin & Index to Dr. Kruse links:
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

Hope this helps, keep us posted,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 11-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    2) I suggest going on the Dr. Kruse Diet for 3 months to see if it helps. I also think you should try to wean yourself of mental drugs ASAP, they are addictive and people I know have become mental cases from taking them.. His diet is helping a lot of people on this board, including myself.

He does discuss Bulimia in 3 of his blogs, and says this:

Search his Blog for more.

You should also be taking 1,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 oil based geltabs. Here is why: He correctly cites Mental Illness of ALL TYPES.
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse
    Also here:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

See this link for an introduction to Leptin & Index to Dr. Kruse links:
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

Hope this helps, keep us posted,
    Grizz
    The leptin reset IS NOT a good idea for someone recovering from an eating disorder.

June is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The leptin reset did nothing for my bulimia (except gave me a slight distraction for 2-3 days). But then I tried everything doctor and medicine wise. The only thing that finally helped me was seeing a hypnotherapist weekly and doing a lot of healing/visual exercises. If you want more information please PM me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast